LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
you can shorten the neck 1/4 inch at a time or go 1/2inch all the way.

in this case it looks like 1/2 inch.

i had this problem before its no biggie.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lownslow302@Nov 13 2003, 08:03 PM

i had this problem before its no biggie.
How could I cut the neck? And how do you get those damn chrome rings off? I've tried the ones on my frame but they haven't budged. Thanks for the help man

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Originally posted by Purpura Delujo+Nov 13 2003, 10:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Purpura Delujo @ Nov 13 2003, 10:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Lownslow302@Nov 13 2003, 08:03 PM

i had this problem before  its no biggie.
How could I cut the neck? And how do you get those damn chrome rings off? I've tried the ones on my frame but they haven't budged. Thanks for the help man[/b][/quote]
to get the chrome headset rings off, just take the forks t-tube off the frame, get yourself a skrewdriver, stick it inside your ass - uhm - sorry - put the skrewdriver in the headtube of the frame so it sits on the bottom chrome ring - smash the shit out of it - should pop out after a few hits. For the upper chrome ring just turn the frame upside down and repeat the procedure. It's easy like that and works for me.

To cut the tube just use a saw or a tube threader. I cut mine with a saw and it works just fine.

Good luck.

Sebastian a.k.a. asco1 °LowStylez B.C., Germany°

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
a bike guy here told me the sorter the tube, the bouncier the fork is. so try and get it kinda short. hack some off the top and bottom maybe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
To cut down the head tube I'd use a pipe cutter. You can pick these up at Home Depot. It'll make a nice straight cut. Only thing is the tool might mess up the paint a bit.

You want your upper and lower bearing races to be parallel so if you hack the top of the tube and it's not a straight cut then your steering isn't going to be as smooth.

Any bike shop that's worth a damn should have tools to ream the head tube and surface it so the bearing races will sit right.

What I would do is get out the trusty torch and heat that top bracket and bend it down so the bolt will go into it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Originally posted by lofrontier@Nov 13 2003, 03:55 PM
To cut down the head tube I'd use a pipe cutter. You can pick these up at Home Depot. It'll make a nice straight cut. Only thing is the tool might mess up the paint a bit.
thats what I was trying to say with "tube thread" - didn't know the exact english phrase - sorry.

To prevent the paint from chipping just mask the cut with scotch-tape and cut trough it - this should help.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone who is helping, and fuck you anyone who is just posting trash.
I don't know shit about bikes because I haven't ever gotten into them much. I'll do all the things you suggested asco1, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
what about just turning the chorme ring upside down. i seen many bikes like that.

never mind i looked at the pics, and yours is not a 90 dig.

Last edited by tonedeaf at Nov 13 2003, 11:03 PM

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by tonedeaf@Nov 14 2003, 05:01 PM
:dunno: They are lsited as $70AUD on the big Lowrider bike dealer here in Australia but I got them for about $20 off a friend so I'm happy, they never been used.

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by tonedeaf@Nov 14 2003, 12:01 AM
what about just turning the chorme ring upside down. i seen many bikes like that.

he would have to bend the ring. just cut the damm tube is less trouble that way

·
LAC RIDAH
12,407 Posts
I'd just say to tilt or raise the crown upward rather than cutting stuff if you can. I think I'm gonna have the same problem with my 69 schwinn lil chick. :angry: ;)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
what about using a bent 26"-fork? Htey got longer extensions above the pivot point. One of those should fit plus it stretches the overall look of the bike.

just a suggestion ;)

·
LAC RIDAH
12,407 Posts
Originally posted by asco1@Nov 14 2003, 10:22 AM
what about using a bent 26"-fork? Htey got longer extensions above the pivot point. One of those should fit plus it stretches the overall look of the bike.

just a suggestion ;)
Ahh Hell naw! :biggrin: What's up Asco?

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by asco1@Nov 14 2003, 01:22 AM

just a suggestion ;)
he will have to spend more dough it cost 70 dollars for that one its easier if he cut it

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Originally posted by Lownslow302+Nov 14 2003, 08:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lownslow302 @ Nov 14 2003, 08:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--asco1@Nov 14 2003, 01:22 AM

just a suggestion ;)
he will have to spend more dough it cost 70 dollars for that one its easier if he cut it[/b][/quote]
that's 4 sure - as i said - it's just a thought for fitting a bent fork without cutting the headtube.

O.K. - here's another: mount he fork, mount the head and fill the space with about 1 to 1 / 1/2 inch long scratchbuilt brakets.That's what I did before - works fine. That way you can use the 20" fork plus the suspension works better - believe me. Been there, done that. :cool: :biggrin:
I will post pics of the assembly - if anybody's wants them.

Last edited by asco1 at Nov 14 2003, 09:52 AM

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by asco1+Nov 14 2003, 02:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (asco1 @ Nov 14 2003, 02:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2003, 08:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--asco1
@Nov 14 2003, 01:22 AM

just a suggestion ;)

he will have to spend more dough it cost 70 dollars for that one its easier if he cut it
that's 4 sure - as i said - it's just a thought for fitting a bent fork without cutting the headtube.[/b][/quote]
oh :biggrin: im going to temp another flamethrowing system

1 - 20 of 37 Posts