LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My homie is trusting me on doing a paint job for him and this is what i was thinking on doing a silver (or black ...gun metal ...wich would look beter?)base and adding candy to it to tone it down a little and lay down a clear coat with flake (wat sze should i use) and finish it off with alsas black candy ...................................what do guys think???? :biggrin:

Its a honda but its not sanded down should i sand it down to the metal ......and let me tell u how plan to do it
1- primer it
3- lay down the base coat
3- clear and sand
4- clear it with the flakes
5- kandy it
6- wet sand it and klear it...............................sounds ok?

and wats orange peel?

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by LowRider_69@Sep 27 2006, 04:26 PM~6257136
My homie is trusting me on doing a paint job for him and this is what i was thinking on doing a silver (or black ...gun metal ...wich would look beter?)base and adding candy to it to tone it down a little and lay down a clear coat with flake (wat sze should i use) and finish it off with alsas black candy ...................................what do guys think???? :biggrin:
Its a honda but its not sanded down should i sand it down to the metal ......and let me tell u how plan to do it
1- primer it
2- lay down the base coat
3- clear it with the flakes
4- at this point you can either go to straight to the kandy, or if the flake is rough, shoot some straight clear over the flake, let dry, sand with 600, then kandy
5-  then staright clear
6- wet sand it and klear it...............................sounds ok?

and wats orange peel?

i fixed it

dont sand the kandy, ever

orange peel is when the clear lays down like the texture of an orange, instead of flat

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have u seen the alsa candy black ?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hope fully i can do it right ...............how many guns should i use? and do i need to completely sand down the paint? its my first paint job

·
Registered
20 Posts
quite an adventurous first paint job!!! even good painters can stuff a job of the magnitude you are talking about. hard to give you prep ideas as we don't know the condition of the honda's paint. dont really need to sand all the way back to metal, but need to prep every surface so its dead flat first. if your base substrate is flat, then its a good start towards a flat finish.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright ... the paint job in the honda is practacly new.......any suggestion?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill get some pics and post them up ..........but it does sound like a big paint job now that you pointed that out ............but im going to holdof on the candy until that last coat i will take a lot pics hopefully i can do it in a few days but not completely sure .........and o yeah wat should i use laquer or urathane :biggrin:

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by LowRider_69@Sep 27 2006, 08:03 PM~6258813
ill get some pics and post them up ..........but it does sound like a big paint job now that you pointed that out ............but im going to holdof on the candy until that last coat i will take a lot pics hopefully i can do it in a few days but not completely sure .........and o yeah wat should i use laquer or urathane :biggrin:

laquer is extinct, use a urethane base coat and clear coat. start off by wetsanding with 320. then 2k prime the shit out of it, atleast 2 or 3 coats. then wetsand it with a handblock with 400 sandpaper, after that you should be ready for shooting the paint.

do you know how to shoot kandy? look here for a tutorial on kandy spraying http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210994

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the paint from smart shopers worth it?

****and do the flakes look good mixed in with the kandy??

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I used black candy it looked like shit like not really sure how to explain it but it didnt look good I will see if I can find the test panel again. I didnt use the alsa on though used something I got from ppg.

If you dont have any bodywork I would nt waist your time or primer just hit it with 320 or 400 thats it you shouldnt have to seal it but thats up to you.

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by KandyRedLac@Sep 27 2006, 09:21 PM~6259379
I used black candy it looked like shit like not really sure how to explain it but it didnt look good I will see if I can find the test panel again. I didnt use the alsa on though used something I got from ppg.

If you dont have any bodywork I would nt waist your time or primer just hit it with 320 or 400 thats it you shouldnt have to seal it but thats up to you.

what color base did you use?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was thinking it would look good over a silver cuz it woul tint it

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Sep 28 2006, 03:33 AM~6259434
what color base did you use?
silver base and the sprayed it on a maroon door for the hell of it. I think I still got some of that shit left might do some more experimenting but I wasnt pleased the first time around.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would like to c how they came out i dont wanna waste the homies cash on a paint job that looks like shit

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by lone star@Sep 27 2006, 10:40 PM~6259490
aint no such thing as a black kandy. kandy has either silver or gold base only. IMO. real kandy paint.
check out alsacorp.com they are the only 1s i have seen with the blak kandy :cool:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
SEM MAKES A CANDY CHARCOLE. SHOT IT ON A BIKE.BLACK BASE AND SMOKE HOK FLAKE.LOOKED REALLY GOOD . THATS THE ONLY THING CLOSE TO KANDY BLACK I'VE MESSED WITH.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts