LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Against the Grain
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was grinding out some rust on the door jams that was pretty bad with a drill and a course wire wheel. I would grind down pretty far, then use some naval jelly to help remove some of the rust. wipe off after 10 mins then start with the wire wheel again and do that a few times. I got it so it was mostly metal, but in some of the pits there was a black substance . wouldn't come off with the wire wheel, wouldn't budge with some 60 grit sandpaper. tried some steel wool on it. I'm not really sure what this is. is this a ferric compound that was created due to the naval jelly being on it? It it doesnt seem like rust, as its hard and wont budge with the wire wheel. I've never fixed spots that were this bad before.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by red_ghost@Oct 9 2007, 09:17 AM~8959388
I was grinding out some rust on the door jams that was pretty bad with a drill and a course wire wheel.  I would grind down pretty far, then use some naval jelly to help remove some of the rust.  wipe off after 10 mins then start with the wire wheel again and do that a few times.  I got it so it was mostly metal, but in some of the pits there was a black substance .  wouldn't come off with the wire wheel, wouldn't budge with some 60 grit sandpaper.  tried some steel wool on it.  I'm not really sure what this is.  is this a ferric compound that was created due to the naval jelly being on it?  It it doesnt seem like rust, as its hard and wont budge with the wire wheel.  I've never fixed spots that were this bad before.
Got pix?

·
Registered
28,033 Posts
Originally posted by red_ghost@Oct 9 2007, 06:51 PM~8963309
dont have the money or the garage for that.  This is in a really tricky place also.
spot blasters will cost about 20.00-30.00 and use about 5-15 lbs of media to blast

·
Against the Grain
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by BUTTAFINGUZ@Oct 10 2007, 11:16 PM~8974575
I use the Rust mort on my floors and it made all the rust turn black. I think it's the rust treatment.
thats what I was thinking, because like I said, it was hard, and i tried one of htose fiber optic pens on it too, and that didnt work either. I figured its the product of a chemical reaction between the left over bit of rust in the pits and the naval jelly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts