LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to bleed my setup… I locked the car up and loosened the lines near each of the cylinders (one at a time)

How long does it generally take before you start seeing oil??? All I am getting is foam… I left the fittings loose so long that the car started to drop… but still cloudy oil... How many times will I need to do this before I get rid of all the air???

Plus a few quick newbie questions:

- What is the small Schrader Valve on the block between the tank and motor used for???

- Can battery charge affect your abilty to three??? My batteries are low and my car just doesn't drop rear corners as quick as it used too... Do you think it's because the dump is opening too slowly??? I opened up the slow down a little to help me while the batteries are low... I guess when I charge the batteries I will have to close the slow down or my car will drop super fast

Thanks

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
why'd you lock the car up, just keep it down or use jacks and unhook em, hit the switch untill oils comes out with no bubbles.your not gonna get all of it out,but if your block has a pressure valve,alot of it will go back there instead of running out the hose.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
the air stem between the motor and block is to aide in preventing the oil from getting foamy ...

its a good idea but the air pressure in the tank gets too high ...its hard on the motor oil seals ...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jul 21 2005, 12:12 PM
why'd you lock the car up, just keep it down or use jacks and unhook em, hit the switch untill oils comes out with no bubbles.your not gonna get all of it out,but if your block has a pressure valve,alot of it will go back there instead of running out the hose.
[snapback]3450132[/snapback]​

I figured the car needed to be lifted to bleed thes system... similar to bleeding brakes... press brake pedal in car to pressurize system then open bleed valve...

So you think the valve stem is for bleeding the system??? I heard it was to help oil in the system flow better (if the system is sealed the air pressure you add by way of this valve would prevent the pump from creating a vacum inside the tank when you hit a switch and start pumping oil

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by ice64berg@Jul 21 2005, 12:54 PM
the air stem between the motor and block is to aide in preventing the oil from getting foamy ...

its a good idea but the air pressure in the tank gets too high ...its hard on the motor oil seals ...
[snapback]3450411[/snapback]​

Thats basically what i have heard... I was told it was to help oil in the system flow better (if the system is sealed the air pressure you add by way of this valve would prevent the pump from creating a vacum inside the tank when you hit a switch and start pumping oil) So I take it you suggest releasing all the pressure at the air stem...

I guess I will try it... has anyone actually bled their setup to the point where they get clear oil at the cylinder fitting... like I said all I get is foam... how much damn air could I have in my system?????

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
it depends on the oil you use in your pump aswell but....it will be a lil foamy but basically the best way to do it is lock up the car and crack open the fittin at the cylinder and you will hear the air coming out once you stop hearing the hissing noise close the fitting

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
i usualy dont tighten the hoses all the way and hittt the switch until oil starts coomin out from teh fighting and i tighten it up and lock it up and loosen it again see if is out

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Originally posted by 3whlcmry@Jul 21 2005, 07:22 PM
i usualy dont tighten the hoses all the way and hittt the switch until oil starts coomin out from teh fighting and i tighten it up and lock it up and loosen it again see if is out
[snapback]3451897[/snapback]​
thats how i do it :biggrin:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied...

I will try and bleed the setup again this weekend... anyone have any clear answers on the schrader vavle between the motor and tank???

Should I preasurize it... and if so what psi? or should I release all preasure at the vavle?

Does adding air via this valve really help minimize the vacum created in your tank when you lift your car? And when do you add air to this valve... with the car lifted or dumped???

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
from what i have been told is that you put air into that valve and it will pressurize the tank so the oil flows better....but i have never done this so i dunno if it really does work or not...

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy Bruce@Jul 22 2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks to everyone that replied...

I will try and bleed the setup again this weekend... anyone have any clear answers on the schrader vavle between the motor and tank???

Should I preasurize it... and if so what psi?  or should I release all preasure at the vavle?

Does adding air via this valve really help minimize the vacum created in your tank when you lift your car? And when do you add air to this valve... with the car lifted or dumped???
[snapback]3455973[/snapback]​

The valve is to prevent TANK VACUUM. When the oil is REMOVED from the tank via the pump head it created vacuum. By adding 10-15psi air will help prevent this problem which can be hard on the pump head and seals.

YOU CAN BLEED USING 12 volts, but the way you first described is the way I do it. Becasue the other way is too messy for me.

Seems like you have it all figured out!!! :biggrin:

BTW, battieries have NOTHING to do with the speed the car comes down. ONLY the SLOWDOWN VALVE controls it.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
yeah theres pro's and cons ...

the pros ...it prevents cavitation ... nasty fluid it sucked in so quick it picks up air bubbles...and it does damage to gear teeth ...

the cons ... oil is pushed into the motors by premature wear on the motor seal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts