LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know the pluses and minuses of a traditional body drop verses a stock floor body drop... I know the one you drop the body down on the frame and on the other you cut the frame then reenforce. I am just wondering which one is better to do more driving. Like i know I am not going to be driving cross country but which one could take more wear and tear like driving it to the local avenue on the weekends...

eric

·
Registered
93 Posts
driving it every once in a while will be fine for both, and if they are both done right, then the vehicle will be just as reliable as stock, lots of guys drive body dropped trucks daily and drive them hard. you really are not doing anything that is going to affect the engine or the drivetrain.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
easier would be stock floor
build a whole new frame and build it right front to back better than stock

or if you have the time space and patience and can handle it geing done to the car then cut the floor just make sure it's all braced and welded up tight it is not an amature job

are you talking about a truck?
i have a stock floor drop with partial floor mods

and i plan to drive the car every day

·
Registered
856 Posts
hey joe how in the heck did you get the body off the frame. im looking at my 53 and i know the front end comes apart, but how and the hell do i lift that body off, and where do i put once its off.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by yodawagon@Jul 26 2005, 08:56 AM
sorry joe dont have msn messenger. cant seem to get it either.
[snapback]3481522[/snapback]​
well i used 8 foot 4x4's from home depot
and jack stands

unbolt all the boldy bolts there is one over the arch two at the rear member
two on each side under the rear seat area

two one each side under the b pillars

two on each side under the front seat

and one each side at the front door hinge
then the fire wall

·
Registered
856 Posts
how do you actually get the body off? kind of figured it was a shit load of bolts, and also thought about using 4x4s and some cement blocks. but how did you get it from frame to stand? how heavy is it? think 4 or 5 people could move it?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
unbolt the body

then at each corner

front left and right side and rear where the hat channel floor support is just in front of the rear wheel arch

use a jack and jack stands and go around at each corner
and lift it up high enough to fit some 4x4's between the bottom of the rocker panels and the frame

one you can do that front and back then screw some 2x4 on the side from the front 4x4 to the back 4x4

to basically make a big square

then put jack stands under the wood frame you made and remove the ones from under the body

and jack that high enough to roll the framer out if anything remove therear wheels and or leaf springs and drag the fucker out

i have done this 5 times by myself
so it can't be too hard

once he wood structure is together you can either put some casters on it

or make a body dolly for it and put it together as it is sitting on the wood structure then when the dolly is complete take the wood apart

did i ramble on too much?[attachmentid=225174]

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52@Jul 26 2005, 11:53 PM
i found these the wood dolley was used while i was building my adjustable steel one

[snapback]3487701[/snapback]​
Hey Joe,

I was looking at your pics more closely. On the fron end of the car, did you fabricate the pockets that the top of the air bags sit in? Looks great!

·
SHOT CALLER
2,016 Posts
i have done a few traditional BDs and i am in the middle of doin a SFBD right now and from a fabricators point of view i like the traditional style better.. but thats my 2 cents every one is entitled to thier own opinions... i have been in the game for over 15 yrs and ive done alot of stuff custom frames, body drops, air ride, juice, you name it.. but like it was stated earlyer this is not a job for a back yard guy.. if you have some really good skills in this field then you will be able to pull it off.. good luck with your build........

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by b_diddy1@Jul 26 2005, 10:20 PM
Hey Joe,

I was looking at your pics more closely. On the fron end of the car, did you fabricate the pockets that the top of the air bags sit in? Looks great!
[snapback]3487856[/snapback]​
chopper11 is right it is a mustangII based front suspension
and the reast of the frame is 2x4 tubefront to back

1 - 20 of 29 Posts