LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Do you have sheet metal on there and then the plaster?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got the frame of a friend half done, i wanted to see if i could do this one cheap, all i did was cut out the shape of the top of the tank, the coffin shape, then used sticky tape to make the sides of the tank, then went over it with some fibreglass then used plaster.

·
Registered
690 Posts
dude dont use the spray on!!! i used it on my bike and the filler cracked on my frame.. it was lucky it was easy to sand! unless u buy a good brand? i payed 5bucks for mine at the local hardware store... good luck

test it on something before u put it on ur bike

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Originally posted by ozzylowrider@Sep 19 2005, 06:29 AM~3840291
i got the frame of a friend half done, i wanted to see if i could do this one cheap, all i did was cut out the shape of the top of the tank, the coffin shape, then used sticky tape to make the sides of the tank, then went over it with some fibreglass then used plaster.
What did you use though? So basically it has scotch tape to hold it onto the frame? :dunno: Did you use cardboard or something else for the cutout shapes?

I dunno about that one man, I dont think it'll stand up over time

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
um i actually didnt do the back section i got it like that from auslowridin, thats just somethin wood... ill make it work

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Originally posted by ozzylowrider@Sep 19 2005, 07:12 AM~3840560
um i actually didnt do the back section i got it like that from auslowridin, thats just somethin wood... ill make it work

So you used wood pieces for the front tank?

Just wonderin man cuz I tried making my own frame with some insulation foam, fiberglass matt, and fiberglass resin and it turned out like shyt. It was a bad ass design too :tears:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wish i took more pics of when i built it..... i used 1 piece of wood, which was the top of the tank, just the coffin shape and i used tape to make/form the sides, then i went over it wid fibreglass

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Does it move around on the frame a lot? That's the problem I had when I tried building mine, I didn't secure it to the frame good enough, it was almost like if you made a paper mache type of thing :(

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
look into using duraglass with your fiberglass projects. it's chopped up kitty hair strands (no, not real cat hair) mixed with filler..VERY strong.

I always do the fiberglass work first, then do a coat of duraglass..THEN do the final coat of rage gold lightweight filler.

duraglass (use AFTER your initial mat and resin work)

rage gold (very good lightweight filler,use last)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by ricecrispy210@Sep 19 2005, 07:43 PM~3845846
and use some high build primer i just put a coat on my project and it did wonders
yup..that's the way to do it.

use a high build polyester primer. after you sand your filler, you will probably have pinholes and small sanding scratches and whatnot. lay your primer on THICK..let it run and sag or whatever, then come back in an hour (it'll be dry, but it'll sand like chalk on concrete) and just sand it down, it'll fill all the pinholes and everything. just don't wait till the next day, or it'll be rock hard and wont' sand for shit

1 - 20 of 39 Posts