LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a regal what is all involved in lifting the body up off the frame about 12 inches or so to reinforce the frame. want to be able to weld the top of frame :cool:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
well you gotta disconnect everything you can, get all the body mounts..
gut the interior as much as you can and get some engine hoist and lift it up. You can lift if from the trunk hook, and their are two spots by where the doors are if you remove the front fenders. By the way.. where in OHIO are ya from?

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
just take off the body mount bolts and lift the body up off of the frame, I did it by putting the jack on the back bumper and the little bar that is under the driveshaft, but dont leave them holding like that you have to support it with somthing else, that is just to get it up off of the frame.....

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by bounce n OH@Oct 30 2003, 07:18 PM
Just got a regal what is all involved in lifting the body up off the frame about 12 inches or so to reinforce the frame. want to be able to weld the top of frame :cool:
Not a lot if you have done it before!! ;) Here is the list!!
1)Unhook the radiator first
2)Take the doghouse off (hood,fenders,header)the hood may need to be taken off seperate, also anything attached to the wheel wells unhook.
3)you can leave the bumpers on , but I take them off!
4) take all of the body bolt loose (there are 10 on the body itself not counting the 2 on the core support).
5) disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder.
6) disconnect the transmission shift linkage
7) disconnect the steering column in the engine compartment
8) if you are going to lift it too high unhook the wiring harness from the firewall.

This should be just about everything with out going into super detail. Take your time when lifting the body and if it starts binding on something stop and take time to figure it out!

Peace and I hope this helps!
;)

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
theres also a small crossmember bolted to the body that the prop shaft goes over ,well there was on my pontiac gp

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help want to do it right this time .I had another regal that i didn`t reinforce the frame and cracked both sides behind the rear tires and the front crossmember and buked the rear quarters. by the way i`m from AKRON

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
if your gunna go to the trouble of liftin the body 12inches you may aswell just lift it right off and do a full wrap cos trying to do 1 with the body half on will be a nitemare

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Oct 31 2003, 04:38 PM
if your gunna go to the trouble of liftin the body 12inches you may aswell just lift it right off and do a full wrap cos trying to do 1 with the body half on will be a nitemare
Yes it will!! :uh:

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
its a hard enough job wrapin a bare frame let alone a semi consealed 1

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Oct 31 2003, 05:30 PM
its a hard enough job wrapin a bare frame let alone a semi consealed 1
Damn skippy especially the insides and the tops of the frame rails!! He would have to lift the car 12" above the rear humps which would put the car about 20" or so above the regular frame rails!!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
The whole process is a nightmare if you dont have the right tools, machines or know how...... look at my avitar, I have been threw the process. Pain in the ass.. :(

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
theres only 1 way to lift a body off like we did it

:biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Yeah that is much easier. But it looks like you all buckled the roof!! :uh: :0

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
yeah it kinked the roof but the body was scrap anyway due to accident damage n loadsa bondo on the rear quarter ,weve got anothe body to go on tho , :biggrin:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Oct 31 2003, 05:51 PM
yeah it kinked the roof but the body was scrap anyway due to accident damage n loadsa bondo on the rear quarter ,weve got anothe body to go on tho , :biggrin:
Cool as long as you got another body to go on it!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Oct 31 2003, 02:40 PM
theres only 1 way to lift a body off like we did it

:biggrin: :biggrin:
fuck, I have seen alot of shit in my days......every one has their own way of taking a car off the frame. but I have never seen a Krane brought into action...... KRAZY ass mother fuckers... :biggrin: good job tho... ;)

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
made life real easy :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Originally posted by timdog57+Oct 30 2003, 05:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (timdog57 @ Oct 30 2003, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--bounce n OH@Oct 30 2003, 07:18 PM
Just got a regal what is all involved in lifting the body up off the frame about 12 inches or so to reinforce the frame. want to be able to weld the top of frame  :cool:
Not a lot if you have done it before!! ;) Here is the list!!
1)Unhook the radiator first
2)Take the doghouse off (hood,fenders,header)the hood may need to be taken off seperate, also anything attached to the wheel wells unhook.
3)you can leave the bumpers on , but I take them off!
4) take all of the body bolt loose (there are 10 on the body itself not counting the 2 on the core support).
5) disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder.
6) disconnect the transmission shift linkage
7) disconnect the steering column in the engine compartment
8) if you are going to lift it too high unhook the wiring harness from the firewall.

This should be just about everything with out going into super detail. Take your time when lifting the body and if it starts binding on something stop and take time to figure it out!

Peace and I hope this helps!
;)[/b][/quote]
Gotta do something with the E brake cable also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts