LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the proces of building my pontiac gp and am just about to remove the body from the frame ,whats the best way ,ive disconnected all hoses ,pipes ,wires etc from under the bonnet ,removed steering colum from steering box ,gear selector likage hand brake cable ,removed front and rear bumpers ,front clip all lights etc should i remove the inner and outer wings as well ,ive removed all the body mount bolts 6 each side and the bodys now loose is there anything ive missed or anything else i should look out for .hopefully we are gunna pull the body off tomorow

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Make sure that everything is dissconnected, then invite about 6-8 of your biggest friends over for beer. When they get there, tell them that the beer is on you as soon as everyone helps pick the body off the frame!

MAKE SURE TO MOVE THE BODY BEFORE YOU START DRINKING THE BEER! :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we are gunna use a hiab to lift the body off or a couple of engine cranes

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
YES MOTOR PICKERS it is the only way to go it will make the whole thing go very fast and smooth

first like you did make sure every thing is not hooked up and when you start to take it off of the frame go very slow so to make sure first every thing is unhooked and not going to grab and to make sure that it is not going to tilt to one side and so on,

i used a 4x4 and put it in the trunck were it was about 2 inches from each quarter and then put a chain/or strap in the middle were is was balanced and then lifted it really slow that way you dont jerk it or just in case something might still be hooked up it dont bind and mabe crease or bend any thing, on the front i just used a long chain hooked it on each side at the body mounts and lifted it the same way once i had it in the air i ran a 4x4 from one side to the other side of the body were the stick out on each side about 1 foot that way you can put the jack there and have enough room for the frame to clear the jack stands, the one for the front was right at the front of the doors and the one for the back was right behinde the back doors i had mine up like that for 6 months and even got in it a couple of time and it did not move

i dont know if you need to know all these things but i just thought i would share :biggrin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey homie, i just pulled my boys 78 grand prix body off and before that we did a 83 buick regal- both G-Body style. Make sure you disconnect the parking brake cable. just when we thought we had it all, it was the only thing holding us back. the first time we just cut it, second car we actually disconnected it. good times. good luck with it.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice boys ,we didnt get a chanco to pull the body off today ,hopefully either tomorow or friday ,1 more question is the fuel tank on the body or frame ,i meant to look tonight but didnt get time

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is how we did it ,we only realy need the frame so not worried about the body

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Oct 4 2003, 03:57 PM
this is how we did it ,we only realy need the frame so not worried about the body
haha, damn you all went all out.

Westrides I love your car. looks good with the gold rims

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by stevie d@Oct 4 2003, 05:57 PM
holy shit, and our thought our car club had some tools, man we need one of those.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
glad u liked it ,it made life easy 4 sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts