LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone were to completely prep a car - sanding OEM paint with 400 grit , glazing any small dents , applying etch primer , then primer sealer over top of that etc etc ...
Also supply their own paint and clear and the body shop lets them do all of the car's masking themself " off the clock " , then wouldn't two coats of base + 2-3 clears be done in less than 2 hours of time ?
Then wouldn't the shop only charge their hourly rate and you'd have a paint job for the coat of green 3m tape , masking paper/plastic and paint + the hourly cost ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skandalouz - I mean if body shops charge by the hour why wouldn't they charge the hourly rate for a paint job if all prep work is done .
Only thing I would imagine else they would charge for is whatever they use to wipe it down and tack rags .. So $20 more tops
If each base coat takes 1/2 hour to lay - flash 20 minutes same with clear then approx 2 hours for base and 1.5 hours for clear of actual work . 1/2 hour maybe wiping it down and tacking it ?
so 2 hours work ?
That's $150-$200
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,516 Posts
skandalouz - I mean if body shops charge by the hour why wouldn't they charge the hourly rate for a paint job if all prep work is done .
Only thing I would imagine else they would charge for is whatever they use to wipe it down and tack rags .. So $20 more tops
If each base coat takes 1/2 hour to lay - flash 20 minutes same with clear then approx 2 hours for base and 1.5 hours for clear of actual work . 1/2 hour maybe wiping it down and tacking it ?
so 2 hours work ?
That's $150-$200

They want to make money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm knowing that fact KandyRed ... I meant if I find a guy that'll do it by the hour only how many hours would it take ?
 

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
Joined
·
15,590 Posts
you have to remember the cost to operate the booth, the gas and electric to light the booth and then the gas to bake the car. then the guy to do it then the tack materials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Sep 2 2005, 01:46 AM~3736732
If someone were to completely prep a car - sanding OEM paint with 400 grit , glazing any small dents , applying etch primer , then primer sealer over top of that etc etc ...
Also supply their own paint and clear and the body shop lets them do all of the car's masking themself " off the clock " , then wouldn't two coats of base + 2-3 clears be done in less than 2 hours of time ?
Then wouldn't the shop only charge their hourly rate and you'd have a paint job for the coat of green 3m tape , masking paper/plastic and paint + the hourly cost ?

if you go thru the trouble of going that far ... to etch primer and epoxy primer what ever , block it all out, prime it ... block it some more and spray on a sealer ..

why would you even bother going to a paint house and letting them spray it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,998 Posts
showandgo is right with the cost of the booth

you also have to take into account the shop has other cost involved as well, just the building alone has rent, heat, electricity, down time for the painter to use the booth,
there secretary, the owners own pockets janitor used paint removal

a shop makes alot of it $$ in all aspects of the labor from body work to preping the car. from a business point of view it is not very wise to have a customer do all the work labor wise and just get there painter to paint it. think of it like this..

you drop your car off at the shop,
everything is 65 an hr to make this easier

they quote you 4 hrs body work.
6 hr prime prep paint polish
+ materials that they also make a profit on call it retail 400 materials (thats being cheep too for a complete, base clear primer tape paper ect)

im now only up to 1050$ from that they will pay there employees 25$ pr hr flate rate the body guy gets $100 for your car the painter gets 150
so from $650 labor the shop just made $400 pure profit on the labor alone
they will also make $$ on the materials

Where is the business sence to let you do all the work and have them only charge you 2-3 hrs at even $65 an hr = $195 - $75 for the painters 3 hrs that is a grand total of $120 and we still havnt paid for the booth to turn on and bake the car!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In this case the painter is the owner , an older gentleman and said that he would do the painting at hourly rate for however long it takes him to do it .
requirements - I buy the paint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
you'd be better off renting a spray booth and gettin your self a painter that doesnt have a shop and payin him to go in and spray it for you cause most shops wont do that and if they do they wont gaurantee nothing and anyways they gotta charge overhead and all this other shit leading to the point is that if you want your car painted professionally cough up the damn cash and dont be so fuckin cheap... if u wanna do the damn prep work your self get your own damn shop so u wont have to pay all of they're fee's and might as well paint it your self... :uh: :uh: :uh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,504 Posts
i know some guys that do there own prep work, even mask it and then take it two a earl sheib or one day. any painter can paint it, but still going to cost you at least 500 bux for them to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just asked the guy Oscar today to clarify what it REALLY will cost me after all is said and done .
He wrote it all down and laid out my costs
I asked him to add something for electricity just to be extra good on cost .
He said he would give me the tape and plastic when I get there so I can mask in the other garage all except the windshield and tires which he would bag off for me
- 3m green masking tape 2 rolls $10
- 15 mil masking plastic - $17
- Electricity $40 ( includes 1 hour sitting in the heated garage room 12'x20' @ 140 degrees ) free time $ , just power $
- Non resin final tack cloths bag of 4 - $5
- Transtar Pre-Paint solvent wipe down 1 can $8
- Dust free wipe down cloths - $6
- Approx 2.5 hours to spray and a flow coat $130
- Gun wash $10
- He has HOK medium reducer $20
- Also he sold me a bottle of Malco prep solution to wash the car down with after I wash it once . He said after I sand EVERY single nook and cranny with a hard flat duraBlock on flat panels and a 3m sponge block on curves and edges with 400 - 500 grit to rinse car , wash car and redo it with the solvent and a grey scuff pad on the edges and flat panels somewhat quicker .
Supposedly it's equivalent to a 500 grit paper

- Malco prep and 3m grey scuff pad $15


Grand total $261 and I'm giving him $275 even and he's gonna mask the windshield also for me so the tape tucks under the trim properly .

Paint cost - Valspar base coat code D 1 qt. $58 + basecoat stabilizer 1:1 1 qt $10
- Valspar 2k Poly 1 qt ac4400 clear + 1 pint hardener $60 + the HOK reducer 2:1:1

Grand total - $403 out da door .. I'm happy for two coats base and two coats clear + flow coat ( if he has enough clear left ) if not I'll buff it out nicely after a month or so .
Car has no dents , and bumpers and headlights and tailights are getting pulled before it goes ( shop is only 5 minutes away )
He said make it $450 and he'll lay out 3m jamb tape in the jambs and gaps , but I passed on that . I'll just clay the jamb overspray out few days later ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe some cheap ass people can't afford it cause they are in college full-time and don't got no mommy and daddy support .
How the hell you come in here makin comments like that though and I said the owner / painter offered this to me .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,504 Posts
i was in college for a "minute". if it comes out cool, nothing wrong with saving a dollar.i didnt work on cars for a long time because of what i had going on. i also refused to settle on subpar work because of my situation. id rather do nothing then have something im not going to like or up to a standard i have. post some pics when done and good luck, hope it all works out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
Sounds Like a Good Deal....hook us up with some pics....when all done
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
dude, dont be such a cheap ass. pay the man for the job he'll do. dont fuckin argue with him over how long its conna take him to wash the fuckin thing. a good sized complete can take over an hour to properly wash and tack before the job. another 45 min to tack between base and clear.
also, two coats of base wont cover shit, plan on more. silvers and metallic reds can take up to 8 coats to get coverage. plan on at least 4.

also, no clay bar is gonna get out that jamb overspray. good luck with that.

youre trying to rush this guy, and thats fuckin ghey. how bout you just let the guy do it, then pay him per hour for the time it really takes.

cheap ass people
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Sep 3 2005, 08:00 AM~3744029
Well I just asked the guy Oscar today to clarify what it REALLY will cost me after all is said and done .
He wrote it all down and laid out my costs
I asked him to add something for electricity just to be extra good on cost .
He said he would give me the tape and plastic when I get there so I can mask in the other garage all except the windshield and tires which he would bag off for me
- 3m green masking tape 2 rolls $10
- 15 mil masking plastic - $17
- Electricity $40 ( includes 1 hour sitting in the heated garage room 12'x20' @ 140 degrees ) free time $ , just power $
- Non resin final tack cloths bag of 4 - $5
- Transtar Pre-Paint solvent wipe down 1 can $8
- Dust free wipe down cloths - $6
- Approx 2.5 hours to spray and a flow coat $130
- Gun wash $10
- He has HOK medium reducer $20
- Also he sold me a bottle of Malco prep solution to wash the car down with after I wash it once . He said after I sand EVERY single nook and cranny with a hard flat duraBlock on flat panels and a 3m sponge block on curves and edges with 400 - 500 grit to rinse car , wash car and redo it with the solvent and a grey scuff pad on the edges and flat panels somewhat quicker .
Supposedly it's equivalent to a 500 grit paper

- Malco prep and 3m grey scuff pad $15
Grand total $261 and I'm giving him $275 even and he's gonna mask the windshield also for me so the tape tucks under the trim properly .

Paint cost - Valspar base coat code D 1 qt. $58 + basecoat stabilizer 1:1 1 qt $10
              - Valspar 2k Poly 1 qt ac4400 clear + 1 pint hardener $60 + the HOK reducer 2:1:1

Grand total - $403 out da door .. I'm happy for two coats base and two coats clear + flow coat ( if he has enough clear left ) if not I'll buff it out nicely after a month or so .
Car has no dents , and bumpers and headlights and tailights are getting pulled before it goes ( shop is only 5 minutes away )
He said make it $450 and he'll lay out 3m jamb tape in the jambs and gaps , but I passed on that . I'll just clay the jamb overspray out few days later ?



ONLY 1 QUART OF CLEAR!!! :0 :0


what is he painting a big wheel?????




but on the real bro let this painter do it RIGHT be patient this shit takes time and TIME IS MONEY



good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Sep 3 2005, 03:40 PM~3746291
ONLY 1 QUART OF CLEAR!!! :0  :0
what is he painting a big wheel?????
but on the real bro let this painter do it RIGHT be patient this shit takes time and TIME IS MONEY
good luck
that reminds of a reply not too long ago in these forums about whats included in a comlete paint job, it went something like 1 coat of base in jambs and one coat of clear, etc, etc. wtf.


ghetto.


If your not willing to pay to play and do it right the first time, its time to rethink your priorities! :0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,699 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Sep 3 2005, 03:31 AM~3744218
Maybe some cheap ass people can't afford it cause they are in college full-time and don't got no mommy and daddy support .
How the hell you come in here makin comments like that though and I said the owner / painter offered this to me .
sorry, but i work and pay for my own shit, my car has been underconstruction for 2-3 years because of what i wanted and having to wait until i could save enough to afford it
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top