LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to go about it? Mask off the outer edges or what? I just took it out to its first car show, 1st place under constuction. So i won base coat, clear coat, and hardener. So its all bodywork from here on out. I reinforced the frame myself so im going to do all the body too.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by DOUBLE TROUBLE@Jul 23 2005, 07:16 PM
What is the best way to go about it? Mask off the outer edges or what? I just took it out to its first car show, 1st place under constuction. So i won base coat, clear coat, and hardener. So its all bodywork from here on out. I reinforced the frame myself so im going to do all the body too.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
[snapback]3464827[/snapback]​
damn bro paint the body like that ..and leave the white top ...and thats gonna look killer ... as far as avioding over spray ... i have no clue i was reading just to learn ...

only thing i can say is shoulda painted the belly while it was apart ... keep us updated on that thou!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The best way is to take the body off, spray the belly body color, and paint the car, put it back on and then put all your chrome back on it. it sounds like more work, but will take the same time as masking it off, and your results will be allot better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by <<<WhiteTrash@Jul 23 2005, 07:28 PM
The best way is to take the body off, spray the belly body color, and paint the car, put it back on and then put all your chrome back on it. it sounds like more work, but will take the same time as masking it off, and your results will be allot better. :thumbsup:
[snapback]3466604[/snapback]​

I get the body ready, then I put the body back on the frame with plastic over the frame etc, just cut it so you can pull it over any body mounts, then you can take everything up, then just cut the plastic off. I deally body and all parts painted off the car is best, but not everyone has the time frame and resources to do that. Masking off a full undercarriage and body is not hard if you know how to do it right, it just takes forever.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ice64berg@Jul 23 2005, 06:00 PM
damn bro paint the body like that ..and leave the white top ...and thats gonna look killer ... as far as avioding over spray ... i have no clue i was reading just to learn ...

only thing i can say is shoulda painted the belly while it was apart ...  keep us updated on that thou!
[snapback]3465955[/snapback]​

Right on thanks homie, im still thinking about leaving the top white but i have no way to break up the white and green. The belly has already been sandblasted and painted, i had to go with black for right now .Its going to be a street car for a couple of years then ill tear it back down and go full show.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by skandalouz@Jul 23 2005, 10:10 PM
I get the body ready,  then I put the body back on the frame with plastic over the frame etc,  just cut it so you can pull it over any body mounts,  then you can take everything up,  then just cut the plastic off.  I deally body and all parts painted off the car is best,  but not everyone has the time frame and resources to do that.  Masking off a full undercarriage and body is not hard if you know how to do it right,  it just takes forever.
[snapback]3467546[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info, but if i take the body off then how do i get the body line straight all the way down the car, like the front fenders?

I heard from this dude that i can get this spray on masking stuff, after its use you can just spray it off with water. Does anyone know the name of this shit?

·
Registered
258 Posts
the spray mask was gonna be my recommendation. i recently did a 57 tbird, and HAD TO keep the frame overspray free. just hog on the spray mask with a primer gun. after it dries, it just washes off with water, because its just soap. saves time trying to mask the bottom of the car.

you were asking what its called, hows this:

spray mask
dry mask
soap mask.

i even take a little and add it to the wetsand bucket, cause its just soap and helps lube the paper:)

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by isprayum@Jul 24 2005, 01:01 PM
the spray mask was gonna be my recommendation.  i recently did a 57 tbird, and HAD TO keep the frame overspray free.  just hog on the spray mask with a primer gun.  after it dries, it just washes off with water, because its just soap.    saves time trying to mask the bottom of the car. 

you were asking what its called, hows this:

spray mask
dry mask
soap mask. 

i even take a little and add it to the wetsand bucket, cause its just soap and helps lube the paper:)
[snapback]3469741[/snapback]​

Yes this can be done we use it all the time at work, but within a day or two of using it wash it off otherwise it can mess stuff up if left too long.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by isprayum@Jul 24 2005, 01:06 PM
ahhhh.  i did not know that.
[snapback]3469758[/snapback]​
well its just soap, all it really does it leaves what looks like really bad water spots and you have to polish them off. we had it happen to a black Benz the other week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, im happy that this web site is here in time of need. Thanks isprayum and skandalouz. Im going to the paint shop tomarrow to pick out the color and look for that spray mask.i will post up a.s.a.p. Im thinking of using feather fill primer what does everyone think?

Once i get all my bodyworking shit, im going to get my homies digital camera and start a build thread" How to paint a body with a painted frame"!!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
well since you said the belly is black i would get plastic and masking tape and mask the bottom of the car the wheel wells ...and around the engne and down over the frame rails....

that made it easier on your self ..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like i said its a street car so all the black on the car is "family dollar" black(.99cents a can) and wal-mart clear (.94 cent a can) easy/cheap fix for chips and scratches. But my frame is my main concern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts