LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having no luck finding a hood thats in good shape for my regal..all the ones i've found have worse dents then mine..mine has a few real minor dents in it...If i was to just bondo them how long would it last for before it would crack? My cuzins mustang has a ton of bondo in the hood and its help up for over 5 yrs now with no cracks or anything...So let me know what you guys think and all advice welcome.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i've heard don't put it thick and if i do to make sure i do it in thin layers. People keep sayin though the vibration and heat from the engine will make it crack..but my quarter panel has bondo in it and its not crackin from my subs bumpin in the truck and so i was thinkin the hood shouldn't be anydiffrent except for the temp differance but the spots that need bondo are up by the windshield anyways and it doesn't get as hot on that part. I'm thinkin i'll at least do this till i find a hood..I just didn't wanna get it repainted to have it crack in a few months.

·
Registered
48,347 Posts
When we bondo bikes, we have layered it about half an inch thick. I think I have that much on mine and it has lasted about 5 years. I think is all in how you mix it. If you dont mix it right it will turn out real chalky. I dont think the heat will be a problem because I am not sure. You could also try fiberglass. It is way stronger than bondo. Really toxic though. Good luck...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
never lay "bondo"(body filler) over 1/8" thick if you can help it---i know most of the time we all do it thicker than that but try not to-----you do have to make sure that you do mix it right too-------not too hot-----try working out as many of the dings that you can e/ a hammer and dolly on the flat parts that do not have any bracing from the underside----those arethe spots that will get more heat and move more w/ the vibration----the re-inforced parts will not move as much----good luck bro-----peace

"richee"

·
Registered
248 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Nov 14 2003, 05:30 PM
never lay "bondo"(body filler) over 1/8" thick if you can help it---i know most of the time we all do it thicker than that but try not to-----you do have to make sure that you do mix it right too-------not too hot-----try working out as many of the dings that you can e/ a hammer and dolly on the flat parts that do not have any bracing from the underside----those arethe spots that will get more heat and move more w/ the vibration----the re-inforced parts will not move as much----good luck bro-----peace

"richee"
listen to what he says thats the right advice

·
Registered
725 Posts

"richee"
:thumbsup:

hopping can cause the bondo to crack too, right? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by SinCityRoller+Nov 16 2003, 02:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SinCityRoller @ Nov 16 2003, 02:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife@Nov 14 2003, 05:30 PM

"richee"

hopping can cause the bondo to crack too, right? :dunno:[/b][/quote]
ya bro---hoppin' will add more stress to the hood and of course vibration------------filler is not very flexable :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 17 2003, 10:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 17 2003, 10:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2003, 02:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife
@Nov 14 2003, 05:30 PM

"richee"

hopping can cause the bondo to crack too, right? :dunno:
ya bro---hoppin' will add more stress to the hood and of course vibration------------filler is not very flexable :biggrin: :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
i saw dat shit happen in a cali swangin video.. a purple glasshouse-i think- paint and bondo came right off in the middle of hoppin. how embarrassing :biggrin:

·
Registered
28,009 Posts
the most most thickest layer of bondo an bee 1/4 in thick no more i never go over 1/8 though remove all paint and rust or else it wont last
" ALL PANT MUST BEE REMOVED BARE METAL ONLY I CANT STRESS IT ENOUGH"

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

"richee"
True True

But if you do decide to fill, you may want to use loung strand kitty hair or tiger hair. It doesn't apply as easy as bondo, but it is more crack resistant, and a bit more heat risistant. Good luck.

Last edited by MyFamiliaCC at Feb 8 2004, 01:31 PM

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
it's better to cut out the part thats messed up. and then welda new part in

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Originally posted by EnchantedDrmzCEO@Feb 8 2004, 01:33 PM
it's better to cut out the part thats messed up. and then welda new part in
On a regal hood? Too much work just for that

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
If you have to bondo the hood do as the other guy said and tap out as much of the dents as possible then lay some duraglass or kitty hair down fist cause its 10 times stronger than plastic body filler(aka bondo)then put bondo on top of that and finish it up with polyester putty. Also if any of those dents are above support members try pushing the dent out then throwing some expanding foam inbetween the outer hood and the member this will keep the hood from flexing and thus over bumps or while hitting switches, but if bouncing super high dont expect anything to hold up all that great!! I had bondo on my old regal hood and it bounced a foot high and I had it for a year untill i sold and it held up I also rearended someone and the bondo never cracked!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you are in a hurry to paint it, this is what I would do. Find the cleanest one. Fill in the dents with fibre strand or bondo (what ever you prefer, there isnt a big difference as far as labor concerns). Then paint it. Just roll it like that. In the mean time, if find a hood with no dents and still feel unsure about the existing hood. Buy it, paint it, and replace it. The only trouble I see with that, if its a Kandy, it will be hard to match, but that is where patterns, pinstriping, gold leafing, etc. come into the picture.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts