LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know what products to buy and how to apply it, etc.
so far i've welded a custom tank onto my bike with sheet metal, but im not sure how to bondo and everything.. any help would be awesome.. thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
ummm, maybe you should buy some BONDO, then spread it on over the metal, let it harden then sand it down.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by Lownslow302@Dec 11 2003, 04:11 PM
buy a gallon. and look for some cardboard to use as a mixing pallet and spreaders
second that^^^
make sure you roughen up the steel real good first and clean it off of dirt, oil and rust. Bondo is a 2 part mix, make sure you mix it right and spread it fast before it hardens, and not too thick. I use a wood paint mixing stick to mix it, and cardboard to spread it. Get a bunch of sandpaper, real rough to get the shape down, finer to smooth it out and get it ready for the final coat, and the super fine stuff to smooth it for paint.

K. Diaz

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by 306caddy@Dec 11 2003, 04:07 PM
i need to know what products to buy and how to apply it, etc.
so far i've welded a custom tank onto my bike with sheet metal, but im not sure how to bondo and everything.. any help would be awesome.. thanks
but ever coat rage extrme bondo its the best out there get some of the red hardener get some 80 grit paper put a small amont of hardener in you dont to much make it harder to sand and apply it smooth and then wait for it to dry and then sand it

·
Registered
363 Posts
u can also use this stuff called like glazing puddy. it goes over the sanded down bondo where u have like like bumps or flaws and just apply it with ur finger and waite for it to dry and sand. it sands out really well. :cool:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by lunch_box2k1@Dec 11 2003, 04:44 PM
u can also use this stuff called like glazing puddy. it goes over the sanded down bondo where u have like like bumps or flaws and just apply it with ur finger and waite for it to dry and sand. it sands out really well. :cool:
use as little glaze possible try none

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help.. i have access to an electric sander, its a project for shop at my school.. once again.. thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
nice bro, my bike is in my shop at school too! almost done sanding and ready for primer hopfully tomorrow or next week! :cheesy:

·
Banned
5,403 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52+Dec 11 2003, 05:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (joebomber52 @ Dec 11 2003, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lunch_box2k1@Dec 11 2003, 04:44 PM
u can also use this stuff called like glazing puddy.  it goes over the sanded down bondo where u have like like bumps or flaws and just apply it with ur finger and waite for it to dry and sand. it sands out really well. :cool:
use as little glaze possible try none[/b][/quote]
its called glazing putty by bondo...auto zone for a few bucks

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by trikeboy666+Dec 11 2003, 07:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (trikeboy666 @ Dec 11 2003, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2003, 05:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--lunch_box2k1
@Dec 11 2003, 04:44 PM
u can also use this stuff called like glazing puddy.  it goes over the sanded down bondo where u have like like bumps or flaws and just apply it with ur finger and waite for it to dry and sand. it sands out really well. :cool:

use as little glaze possible try none
its called glazing putty by bondo...auto zone for a few bucks[/b][/quote]
bondo body filler is bullshit

look for evercoat or mar-hayde products i like platinum filler (by bondo mar-hayde)it feathers nice and has very minimal shrinking

or your best bet is to go to an automotive paint supply store
get a good filler i got names of good shit but i can't remember them right now and i don't have my products folder with me

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
do whAT I DID TO MY BIKE USE SHEET METAL N BARELY A LAYER OF BONDO. ITS LIGHTER DOESNT WEIGH THAT MUCH N U DONT HAVE TO WORRY BOUT IT CRACKING N IT LOOKS NICER.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
evercoat, and as for glaze, If the mud is right you don't need it must of the time. But it does work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So wait a second, you guys didn't weld the sheet metal on the bike? You just placed it on and bondo'd over it?

I too am taking shop class at school and i want to bondo my frame but my teacher keeps saying i should weld it but i dont weld that great so when i saw this post i had to ask.

let me know sooon thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts