LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its 1/4 inch thick but does anyone know the size of the box iron?Gonna pick up some box iron in the morning and make me a pair.....seen a few low lows at the new image show yesterday and there front lock up on them were banana's(no ****) :biggrin:

·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by gzking@Mar 22 2010, 08:37 PM~16967898

Heres a truck from the show that had the extensions
yea,I seen it with junior when it rolled in and I was like :0 ,talk about a mean lock up....I hit up alex but he was at work.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Originally posted by DanielDucati@Mar 22 2010, 08:58 PM~16968283
yea,I seen it with junior when it rolled in and I was like  :0 ,talk about a mean lock up....I hit up alex but he was at work.
I am thinking of making some for mine also :biggrin:

·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as soon as I get the correct size,I'll make you a pair uso...Im thinking there 2x3?? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Originally posted by DanielDucati@Mar 22 2010, 09:12 PM~16968528
as soon as I get the correct size,I'll make you a pair uso...Im thinking there 2x3?? :dunno:
:cool:

·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright......So I made some ball joint extensions and put them on my low-low and they look hella good,whats really nice about them is when you lock up the front they give you that extended a-arm look( \ / ) without having extended a-arms,and when you drop the front the wheels straighten out to where there is no toe in( | | ) and you wont wear out your front tires,its like having upper a-arm extensions but with a stock option!!!.... :thumbsup: I made a few extra pairs of ball joint extensions if anyone is interested in purchasing them,they come predrilled with all bolts and nuts ,plus upper nut spacers,everything you need to install them for $25 plus shipping....or you could just make them yourself but either way they look bad ass!!!!... :thumbsup:

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
HMM.. I DUNNO ABOUT THAT ONE...

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Originally posted by Reverend Hearse@Mar 31 2010, 04:41 PM~17056940
HMM.. I DUNNO ABOUT THAT ONE...
I do. It's wrong plain and simple. There is a reason a ball joint is tappered and has as much contact surface with the spindle as it does. For strength.

I'll pass. I'd rather build arms that allow for more lock up.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
whoa thats pretty high for a lock up.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I'm all about Hydraulics & hopping And I have always liked the look of Extended A Arms regardless of whether the car is a hopper or not. I have lifted several vehicles The above pictures depict an accident in the making DANGEROUS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Most likley what will happen is that over time the "box steel ball joint extensions" you have here ARE GOING TO FAIL causing you to spend more money (possible body and paint damage) than you would if you did this the right way from the start. And to top this off you or someone else could be injured or killed. THATS A HIGH PRICE TO PAY FOR A NICE LOCKUP. You have a real nice looking car PLEASE DONT TEAR IT UP.

·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by KINGLOWNESS@Mar 31 2010, 03:23 PM~17057319
I'm all about Hydraulics & hopping And I have always liked the look of Extended A Arms regardless of whether the car is a hopper or not. I have lifted several vehicles  The above pictures depict an accident in the making DANGEROUS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Most likley what will happen is that over time the "box steel ball joint extensions" you have here ARE GOING TO FAIL causing you to spend more money (possible body and paint damage) than you would if you did this the right way from the start. And to top this off you or someone else could be injured or killed. THATS A HIGH PRICE TO PAY FOR A NICE LOCKUP. You have a real nice looking car PLEASE DONT TEAR IT UP.
I seen a few show cars with these on them(no daily's) and decided to make some and try them out and it looks like it will hold if your not hopping but maybe they should be reinforce all 4 corners of the box to give it extra strength and taper drilled the top of the box extension,I know extended A-Arms are what everyone is use to but when we start thinking out side the box when it comes to inovations(whether bad or good) products are born.......either way thanks for the constructive critisizm,I think I will break out the chop saw and welder and see If I can reinforce these.....

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
YEAH YOU WONT GET ANY HATE FROM ME THAT'S FOR SURE!!! THANKS FOR TAKING MY COMMENTS FOR WHAT THEY ARE!!! I dont think the box will break but it WILL bend. What worries me about the whole thing is the shaft of the ball joint doesn't appear to be properly supported (bolts & spacer) It appears that you are using a grade 8 bolt that WILL BREAK under stress. The Balljoint shaft is probably close to 10 times stronger than that bolt

·
Registered
781 Posts
Originally posted by KINGLOWNESS@Mar 31 2010, 04:49 PM~17057591
YEAH YOU WONT GET ANY HATE FROM ME THAT'S FOR SURE!!! THANKS FOR TAKING MY COMMENTS FOR WHAT THEY ARE!!! I dont think the box will break but it WILL bend. What worries me about the whole thing is the shaft of the ball joint doesn't appear to be properly supported (bolts & spacer) It appears that you are using a grade 8 bolt that WILL BREAK under stress. The Balljoint shaft is probably close to 10 times stronger than that bolt
x2

·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by KINGLOWNESS@Mar 31 2010, 03:49 PM~17057591
I was thinking of welding 1" steel to the top of the box extension and taper drilling the hole(like a stock spindle where the ball joint sits) and weld a 3/4 of an inch steel at the botton, and put a 1/4 rectangle piece of steel on the rear to box off one side........seems simple enough to do and it would be reinforced.......back to the drawing board.......the reason I like the idea so much is because you can have the look of the extended a-arms but yet have the option to ride stock and not go thru tires......

box off one side....

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
That would help the Box from bending. But For every part you make stronger the parts that you don't make stronger become weaker. In this case the Grade 8 Bolt. I have seen Grade 12.9 Bolts break with simple overtightening.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts