LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 63 chev impala and as i was driving it into my garage the brakes completely failed causing me to drive it into the end of my garage. what do i look for in terms of where the problem is?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fluid in the master cylinder?
Any wet fluid leaks showing around, the backing plates?
Any work done on anything near the brakes lately.
Wet on front brake hoses?
If all that seems OK, sounds like a master cylinder or booster problem, in which case put in a question on how to diagnose either being bad.

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way & I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you don't know where to start on fixing a problem like this maybe you should just take it to a professional. Re-doing a brake system on such a car is fairly easy, but its a matter of life or death.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i'm gonna try and take it to my mechanic as soon as possible, i just have to try and get it to him, gonna cost way too much to get it towed.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
fill back up the master cylinder-have a buddy push your brake petal while your under your car-look by each wheel and see where it sprays out or drips from when your buddy hits the petal-if the inside bottom of a tire is wet your wheel cylinder busted-if its hard to find just trace your lines from each wheel until you see fluid come out when petal is pushed-and theres your leak-thats why i like my 68 it has the dual master cylinder not single on it-if something breaks i at least got crappy brakes to get it home and not crash into anything-single cylinder something brakes u have no brakes

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers mate, i'll do that at least to try and find something, once i find it and fix it i still gonna drive it down to my mechanic to get him to give it a good check. thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Oct 7 2007, 02:33 PM~8948022
cut a hole in the floor and use the flintstone brakes just in case ;)
:roflmao:
is that what you do ;)

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
did you hear a snapping sound when the brakes failed? sounds like your master cylinder. those aint hard to replace usually cost under 40 at napa.

·
Registered
142 Posts
THE EASIEST THING TO DO RIGHT NOW IS TO BLEED THE BRAKES...ITS HIGHLY LIKELY THERE IS AIR IN THE LINES. IT HAPPENED TO MY 86 CUTT THE PEDAL WENT ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. I BLED THE LINES AND IT WAS GOOD TO GO BETTER THAN BEFORE :cool:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Originally posted by DAWA70CUTTY@Oct 13 2007, 07:37 PM~8994045
THE EASIEST THING TO DO RIGHT NOW IS TO BLEED THE BRAKES...ITS HIGHLY LIKELY THERE IS AIR IN THE LINES. IT HAPPENED TO MY 86 CUTT THE PEDAL WENT ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. I BLED THE LINES AND IT WAS GOOD TO GO BETTER THAN BEFORE :cool:

you could try that ... or check the brake lines dem selfs ... on my work truck i had a hole on one of the hoses and i would always have to be refillin it with brake fluid until the brakes locked on me and spun out and almost crashed and i told my boss to get that shit fixed...never knew what it was until it was sent to get fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts