LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know were i can get i really clean Monte carlo with about 80,000 original miles on it but the Timing Chain broke on it and its not starting at all. The car is owned by a old man an he only wants $1500 for it. My question is it real expensive to fix and is it worth buying for that price??

Thank in advance

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
timing chain is an easy fix man, they cost about 40 bucks for a really good one...thrown in a gasket kit, maybe a new water pump since its already off..

you can do all that shit for less than 100 bucks..

I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 25 2003, 08:42 PM
timing chain is an easy fix man, they cost about 40 bucks for a really good one...thrown in a gasket kit, maybe a new water pump since its already off..

you can do all that shit for less than 100 bucks..

I say go for it!
im not a MACHENIC but i heard if the timeing chain breaks while driving it fucks up the cam. or something not really sure what you think dan???

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
these old motors, dont run tolerances that tight really..

so when the chain breaks, there is little to no chance that a piston would connect with a valve..

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
How do you know its that the timing chain is broke? Its pretty unlikely that it is. Where talking about a stock engine with 80,000 miles, and an old man has it? Even with a high performance engine its hard to break a timing chain.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
i was thinking it was sloppy and maybe skipped a tooth..

I honestly have never seen on break..

easiest way to tell, remove the distributor cap and crank the engine, see if the rotor spins

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
a buddy of mine had a 78 with a 305. i was driveing it one day in a parking lot just idleing and all of the sudden it shut down. towed it home and broke it open----the lower grear had busted about 8 teeth off ---just idleing then trying to start it about five times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts