LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fiberglassing my first box and put down my first layer. However i got a few bubbles in the first layer. Can this be sanded down or do i have to start over. :confused:

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Originally posted by lorinlewis23@Sep 25 2007, 06:03 AM~8865234
I am fiberglassing my first box and put down my first layer. However i got a few bubbles in the first layer. Can this be sanded down or do i have to start over. :confused:
start over!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Originally posted by 79 cutty@Sep 25 2007, 06:49 AM~8865417
start over!!!!!!

:biggrin: ;)

or sand it down, what ever you feel like! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
sand sand sand

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by lorinlewis23@Sep 25 2007, 08:03 AM~8865234
NO SAND IT DOWN, YOU NEED TOO GET THAT BUBBLE SMOOTHED.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Originally posted by lorinlewis23@Sep 26 2007, 10:24 AM~8873082
thanks for the advice :biggrin:
you can avoid those bubbles... I've seen that when i get a bubble or what not its due to me not breaking my mat down enough for the type of surface im working on and the mat "bunches" up and air gets under it...

use a chip brush so you can stab at the bubbles.. a lil twist here a lil twist there, bubble gone, then make sure you didnt move the mat completely from the area the bubble was.

another note, dont attack a big ass section head on unless your just gangsta like that... you'll see its alot easier to handle, and you'll end up with a better product, just might take a lil longer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks i think the mistake that i also made was not applying a coat of resin to the surface first before laying the mat down and then applying more resin over the cloth. what i was doing was trying to put the cloth down first then trying to get the resin to soak through. BIG MISTAKE! I should have applied some resin to the surface first.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by lorinlewis23@Sep 26 2007, 01:05 PM~8873778
thanks i think the mistake that i also made was not applying a coat of resin to the surface first before laying the mat down and then applying more resin over the cloth. what i was doing was trying to put the cloth down first then trying to get the resin to soak through. BIG MISTAKE! I should have applied some resin to the surface first.
Correct...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Originally posted by lorinlewis23@Sep 26 2007, 12:05 PM~8873778

yeh, that'll do it lol...

plus, you wanna get a foundation first, your suppose to soak whatever your using in resin (grill cloth, fleece, etc).. then start adding the mat.. plus, that mat gets heavy and might mess up what ever lil twists and spins you got goin with your enclosure if you dont atleast have a hardened surface your applying it too.

but, mistakes is how we learn, bet you'll never do it again ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts