LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cadillac has a buckled quarter panel from the hydraulics (the spring broke through the frame, but I fixed it) and I was wondering the best way to bring it out. The trunk doesn't line up exactly right now on that side either. Help!

Here's a picture...

Last edited by CODE BLUE at Sep 27 2003, 01:29 AM

·
Registered
128 Posts
The best way to pull that out would be to use a frame wrack or a pull dozer. It needs to be pulled from the back. Most of that will come out that way.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
i would say use a doly and hamer if you can reach it that way you dont fuck up the paint as much. but if you cant you might have to use a studd gun.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by Low79Lac@Sep 23 2003, 04:26 PM
The best way to pull that out would be to use a frame wrack or a pull dozer. It needs to be pulled from the back. Most of that will come out that way.
I agree, you need to take the tension off the quarter by pulling it straight back. you have to weld a plate on the edge and pull straight back. most of that dent will pop back with minimal effort once the tension is off. then you will want to get the metal almost perfect then release the tension. you'll need to tie down the car so unless you got access to a bodyshop that does collison work, you'll need some help. I hate to say this but your going to have to go into the paint. See what looks like a bubble at the top of the crease. That spot is under a lot of tension and is stressed, that's not popping out without metal work.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by abe0027@Sep 23 2003, 08:34 PM
i would say use a doly and hamer if you can reach it that way you dont fuck up the paint as much. but if you cant you might have to use a studd gun.
SORRY BRO---BUT A HAMMER AND DOLLY IS NOT GOING TO FIX THAT BUCKLE---LIKE STATED YOU HAVE STRESS ON THE QUARTER AND IT BUCKLED AT THE WEAKEST POINT-----FROM LOOKING AT WHERE THE BUCKLE IS I BET YOU HAVE YOUR BATTERIES ACROSS THE REAR OF THE TRUNK-----THAT WORKS GOOD FOR WEIGHT BUT BAD FOR CARS W/ LONG TRUNKS UNLESS YOU HAVE IT RE-INFORCED----THIS TYPE OF BUCKLE WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN BECAUSE OF THAT---BASICALLY YOUR CAR IS BOWING FROM THE WEIGHT IN THE TRUNK AN THE WEIGHT OF THE ENGINE AND IT GAVE-------THIS TYPE OF DAMAGE IS DIFFICULT TO FIX W/ OUT A FRAME MACHINE-----BEST THING WOULD BE TO TAKE IT INTO A BODY SHOP AND HAVE THEM PUT IT ON A FRAME MACHINE SO THEY CAN REALEASE THE STRESS--IT WOULD BE HARD TO PULL STRAIGHT BACK---THEY ACTUALLY WOULD HAVE TO PUSH UP BUT ONLY ON THE TRUNK AREA------ABVIOUSLY YOU WILL HAVE OTHER BODY WORK TO GET DONE AS WELL WHICH WILL REQUIRE YOU TO REPAINT AREAS OF THE CAR---THEN YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE TO REINFORCE THE QUARTERS SO IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN-----------GOOD LUCK----IN MY OPINION AFTER DAMAGE LIKE THIS CARS ARE NEVER THE SAME--==PEACE

Last edited by lowriderlife at Sep 24 2003, 10:27 AM

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well, dont take it too badly. The car can indeed be fixed and be as good as it was before. The reason the quarter is creased, is because the frame has bent and allowed the body to flex. If you try to just straighten the sheetmetal without straightening, and strengthening the frame, odds are the problem will come back again, only worse.

A notorious stress point on those caddies, is immediately in front of the frame hump. Odds are good that is where yours may of gave. What you need to do is get the car to a good frame shop, where they can measure everything up and straighten it back up.

After that, you need to get those weak points plated to prevent the problem from happening again. In a caddy, I would reccomend at least a 3 sided plate job from the front of the frame hump back, a chain bridge, annd be sure to liberally plate the frame in front of the hump itself. Of course if you plan on hopping the car at all, you should also pull the a-arms and reinforce the top of the frame around their mounts, as they tend to rip through there. Short of a full body-off frame wrap, thats some of the minmal stuff you should consider getting done. But once again, dont attempt to just straighten out the sheetmetal without first addressing the frame issue.

You might also want to check all of your body mounts as well, to make sure they are tight and in place. After that, you should be ready to roll :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. I will probably end up repainting the car anyway. The frame has already been reinforced, body off, as well as the suspension. I bought the car in that condition and the rear spring perch on that side was broken and the spring/cylinder went through. I've since fixed that part, but the frame must have tweaked on the hump enough to buckle the quarter. Here is a picture of the setup, I went from 14 to 12 batteries.

Last edited by CODE BLUE at Sep 27 2003, 01:23 AM

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Damn!!!I hate to see that shit-I hope my coupe never gets creased!It's fixable, but the metal will never be the same again-it's stretched, and flexed so much you've lost most of the strength in it.Evereyone on here's already told you the best things to do-I just had to get my .02 in :biggrin: Sorry about your car bro-good luck on gettin' that pretty thing back on the road-PEACE

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by CODE BLUE@Sep 24 2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. I will probably end up repainting the car anyway. The frame has already been reinforced, body off, as well as the suspension. I bought the car in that condition and the rear spring perch on that side was broken and the spring/cylinder went through. I've since fixed that part, but the frame must have tweaked on the hump enough to buckle the quarter. Here is a picture of the setup, I went from 14 to 12 batteries.
lots of weight bro--------damn !!!----good luck homie!!

"richee"

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i would bring it to a local technical college in your area they pretty much charge a small fee to pull the frame............

they don't charge much because the students are learning the trade and the instructor checks everything also to make sure it is straight before it leaves.........i just figured if you are on a budget you might check into this...good luck

when i was in school i did a flame job on a hood for the cost of paint.....only like $30!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by CODE BLUE@Sep 23 2003, 12:54 AM
My Cadillac has a buckled quarter panel from the hydraulics (the spring broke through the frame, but I fixed it) and I was wondering the best way to bring it out. The trunk doesn't line up exactly right now on that side either. Help!

Here's a picture...

save time and money,give up on trying to fix a buckled quater panel,once it buckles its a gonner,trust on this,i have seen to many people try to fix the problem only to find out the problem is still there!!!it can be done but it will cost a whole of money!!!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a couple of new pics. My friend Mark welding (fixing the broken spring perch...hopefully) and closer pics of the buckled quarter panel. I noticed the frame was tweaked a little on top of the hump. Thanks for the help so far and more is appreciated!

·
Registered
374 Posts
if i am correct cadillac bob just had his fixed from the help of a frame machince. That seems to be the only correct way to do it. You could always get a deflated football and shove it in the trunk where the quarter meets the trunk, then pump it up and, that would fix some of it depending how bad the buckle is. It will of course still want to flex but it's a temporary cheap fix. My buddy did it to his lac and it solved the apperance problem of the buckle. One of by friends from california informed me of this method of fixing the quarter just to roll and not look shitty....hopefully that will help you some. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts