LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got around to doing it. i was just sick and tired of having to replace leaky and busted lines coming from my york compressor. they would go out because of the heat. i think i have already replaced about 10 hoses, give or take a couple, since i first got a york i believe back in march of last year.

i also extended out my breather, which was too short and let oil come out of it. the radiator i made out of 1/8" galvanized pipe fittings, along with 6" pieces of 1/8" galvanized pipe. it ended up costing me somewhere around $20 when it was all said and done (parts). the breather was about $8.50, with extension and all? i have tried both since instalation and the radiator looks like its going to work perfectly. after the radiator i have 3/8" hydraulic line. out of all the lines i have tried, hydraulic line has stood up the best to the heat. it seems like all the heat is in the radiators first couple bends. after that, its a lot cooler (still hot though). i think my hydraulic line can handle the heat after that though. it was so bad that even flame resistant hydraulic line would go out because of the hot air being pumped through it. here are some pictures of this project:

[attachmentid=241915]

[attachmentid=241918]

[attachmentid=241917]

[attachmentid=241916]

[attachmentid=241919]

these pictures were taken with my sanyo mm-7400 camera phone, so they're not all that great but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[attachmentid=241920]

[attachmentid=241921]

[attachmentid=241922]

[attachmentid=241923]

[attachmentid=241924]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[attachmentid=241925]

[attachmentid=241926]

[attachmentid=241927]

[attachmentid=241928]

[attachmentid=241929]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the breather, i added 3/8" pipe in there to make it fatter around. my idea with that was that if oil was going to go in there and come out, it would at least be some kind of little resivour in which oil could sit in and go back into the compressor when it is off.

then with the radiator, as you can see, i added a little bracket to it to help keep it firm. i used one of those brackets that are used to hold a pipe up against a wall. i hammered it until it looked like a "J", hammered it some more to close it up a bit and fit snug against the pipe, then once on the pipe and bolted down, hammered till it was snug up against the pipe. i think that will work pretty good also.

also as you can see, i made a sort of elbow which you can see is sitting on top of the compressor. i did that so that the radiator wouldnt be able to twist off. that elbow will sit/hit there and wont go anywhere.

i think a nicer setup can be made with the same idea, but right now i just want to solve the problem and i think i finally found my solution :biggrin: . once i was done with my radiator and breather, i degreased both and painted them the same color as my compressor (a silvery color with ceramic in the paint. this paint is made to disipate heat).

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Nice work Moco.

Have you tried using a braided line before - maybe 18 inches to 2 feet? Just wondering because that should handle the heat from the York.

Mike

:)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
By the way, Dan made me my one and it's pretty cool!

;)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Aug 11 2005, 05:35 PM~3595967
I wish I was English because Mike is so cool.
Maybe one day, Dan. You've got the sense of humour, but you just need the passport.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by b_diddy1@Aug 11 2005, 07:05 PM~3595420
Now all you need to do is build a small bracket and mount an electric 12V fan on it.
nah, i think the air just hitting those corners should cool it sufficiantly.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by M-827@Aug 11 2005, 08:00 PM~3595746
Nice work Moco.

Have you tried using a braided line before - maybe 18 inches to 2 feet?  Just wondering because that should handle the heat from the York.

Mike
:)
i used a 10 foot length of 1/2" steel braided line. it all went bad. not to mention i had to replace the tip that connected to the york, about 5 times, and it arked out my wireing harnesss to my car and almost cought my car on fire. had to make a new harness because of that one..

i thought it was a good idea at the time also though ;)

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by HighProCam@Aug 11 2005, 08:48 PM~3596062
Wow, thats look awesome....    :thumbsup:

Let us know how it holds up.  I like that breather idea it would make it easier to fill.
actually it sucks now. i have to loosen up my compressor to give it enough slack so i can take off the entire breather. if not, it hits on my fender when i try and spin it off. i take it off because i have a measuring stick i used to measure the amount of oil inside the york. dont want too much or too little in there..

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
What about stainless steel tubing? I planned on going with tubing for abot 4 feet, just enough to take it out of the engine compartment.

let me know what you think.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a piece of stainless braided line with a teflon inner, it's what you are supposed to use on industrial air compressors. It's about 18 inches long and works great. I run 200 psi, it gets hot but hasn't let me down yet

Attachments

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Looks good, but I do have one question. Are you sure the smaller line does not heat up or slow down the air when that compressor is working? Look at your out on the compressor, it goes into a 3/8 reducer to go into a 1/4 line. I think you should go with 3/8 all the way through. It is just a thought. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Dumps@Aug 14 2005, 12:08 AM~3612772
Looks good, but I do have one question. Are you sure the smaller line does not heat up or slow down the air when that compressor is working? Look at your out on the compressor, it goes into a 3/8 reducer to go into a 1/4 line. I think you should go with 3/8 all the way through. It is just a thought. :biggrin:
like i said before, not very much air is being pumped out or fast enough for it to restrict the flow. this compressor i believe i heard can handle pumping upwards of 500-600 psi (of course not 24 gallons though). so i really dont think the 1/8" pipe is restricing it. i also liked it because it was a lot less bulkier and heavier than the 1/4" or bigger.

i also liked it for the fact that it IS smaller in diameter. this will cause more friction inside of it and will help it do what it is meant to do. i went for a cruise this weekend (friday and saturday night) and it seems to be holding up perfectly ;) .

ey roberto, dont know if edgar/norma have told you yet but they're having a little get together for emmanuel, 1 year birthday party, this coming saturday. bring out the rides if you can. i'll be there with the 66 :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Paulo@Aug 12 2005, 09:06 PM~3606593
I used a piece of stainless braided line with a teflon inner, it's what you are supposed to use on industrial air compressors. It's about 18 inches long and works great. I run 200 psi, it gets hot but hasn't let me down yet
on my setup, i'd have that hose leaking within a weekend. been there done that with the same kind of hose, 5x over.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts