LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone know reasons why engine is burning about 2qrts. of oil every 3,000 miles. There's no oil leaks, figured I get some ideas before taking car in for inspection. Hope it's not too expensive to repair. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
piston rings or valve seals most the time could also be pcv valve or a leak in the intake to head gasket in the lifter valley. (i am assuming you are asking about a sbc or something like one)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by dough916@Aug 4 2003, 08:39 AM
piston rings or valve seals most the time could also be pcv valve or a leak in the intake to head gasket in the lifter valley. (i am assuming you are asking about a sbc or something like one)
i have a q. if it were piston rings, would there be a loss of compression?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
ya, if its rings you will lose power------------------mostly under load. it will also smoke more under load than normal driving conditions. if its valve seals the smoke will happen right after start up then go away.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Not a cure.........

But I've noticed if you use a good quality brand oil like CASTROL in a 20/50 weight it might slow down the oil consumption.

I have a 350 that shows the oil seal symptoms mentioned by DOUGH916, but mine still has plenty of balls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts