LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im going to be buying a arc welder tomorrow so i can install my own hydro kit when i find one and do my frame wrap. im pretty good at welding but i was wondering what size arc welder ill need to do frame work and installing a setup? thanks alot!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
They have a Lincoln 220 at Lowes for around #130. I use one identical to it and it works great. I would definately get the 220 if you have the plug for one.

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by S10lifted@Dec 26 2003, 03:13 AM
They have a Lincoln 220 at Lowes for around #130. I use one identical to it and it works great. I would definately get the 220 if you have the plug for one.
yep 220......Lincoln or Miller, you can't go wrong.........

DO NOT get a stick!!

It's like using a typwriter or computer (computer being the mig)

;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im good with a arc welder, and i plan on doing most of the work outside and not in the garage so a mig isnt going to work well.

·
Registered
494 Posts
hey man,i'd get a mig its a lot easier to use in them tight places say weldin the powerball to the diff and stuff like that, i got a mig and its pretty grunty it'll weld up to about 8mm so i'd go for a good mig. ;)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Migs do come in handy if you tyring to get into tight spots, but for almost all the work that I have done I have used an arc welder. Some people don't like them but, that is what I learned on and just always seem to use one. For the guy that said it is hard to weld the powerbalss on all you have to do is weld the powerballs to the c-channel then weld the c-channel to the rearend. Or jack the car up. ;)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
welding with an Arc or MIG is good there are some pros and cons to both. For some one trying to learn how to weld a MIG would be easier. A MIG is faster then an arc welder. And it easier to weld thiner metals with it. But not to forget about the stick it also has its goods and bads. there are times where an stick will reach a spot that you cant get the MIG gun into. You can bend the stick rod into many positions to reach anyhere.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
I Love my Mig, but arc Welders work well for thick metals! Would you like to buy a ARC welder?!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Dec 26 2003, 07:48 PM
mig welders are ARC welders :uh:
correct. I should have have said stick (rod). Is a replaceable rod about 12 inches or so. In diffrent sizes from 1/8"and up with a coating that when burned causes a shield around the rod. Mig is wire fed off a spool also in diffrent diameters. but a lot smaller and use a shielding gas or has a flux core that when burned causes a shield.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Dec 26 2003, 09:48 PM
mig welders are ARC welders :uh:
I meant to say stick!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Originally posted by timdog57+Dec 27 2003, 07:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (timdog57 @ Dec 27 2003, 07:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--bigdanmcintosh@Dec 26 2003, 09:48 PM
mig welders are ARC welders  :uh:
I meant to say stick!! :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
sure ya did

:biggrin:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh+Dec 27 2003, 09:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdanmcintosh @ Dec 27 2003, 09:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2003, 07:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--bigdanmcintosh
@Dec 26 2003, 09:48 PM
mig welders are ARC welders  :uh:

I meant to say stick!! :biggrin:
sure ya did

:biggrin:[/b][/quote]
:biggrin: :biggrin: ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts