LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal... My fleetwood is a 93, Ive had a it for a few months but it has been sitting most of that time. I would start it and let it run once a week or so for the fe months it sat. But eventually the abttery kept getting drained and the alternator ended up goin out. So i got a new one at aouto zone, 3 times. All 3 were bad out of the box. So iordered the lifetime warr. one which has all new parts. That lasted 200 miles, then it was only putting out 11 volts and also ruined my battery. So i put in a new batt., new alt. I drive it 100 miles and now its just like b4. The batt. light keeps flickering on and off.

I want to say its just Auto Zones fault but im begining to think its somethin else. Any suggestions would be great. Im gettin frustrated with it. And the alternators have to be ordered so it takes a week each time :angry:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'd have my battery and alternator tested to see if they were cool, then I'd have a reputable electrical shop check out my complete system, it may be a problem w/ your ECM- hopefully it's not- they can be costly unless you scrounge one from a junkyard- good luck bro- peace

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by CANUHOP@Jan 2 2004, 06:31 PM
I'd have my battery and alternator tested to see if they were cool, then I'd have a reputable electrical shop check out my complete system, it may be a problem w/ your ECM- hopefully it's not- they can be costly unless you scrounge one from a junkyard- good luck bro- peace
Well im pretty sure the alt is gone out again. But im not ruling out the ECM :angry:

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im thinking about just taking that one back and going somewhere else to get one. But I dont want to end up spending $100-200 more and then that one go bad becasue its somethin else wrong w/ the car

·
Registered
879 Posts
IMO check your charging wiring for loose or corroded terminals. If the alternator 'senses' that the battery needs constant charging, or a dead battery because of wiring it keeps putting out until eventually it burns out. Always check your charging system where it lives. In other words don't pull out the alternator and have Checkers check it alone. Load test the batt with an clamp on the alternator to check output. Lots of fun

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Its something else in your car bro. They would not do that everytime with the alt and battery like that. Sounds like the ECM that controls the charging circuit is gone.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be more specific It is the voltage regulator thats going out in the alternator I beleive.

Last edited by Big Doe at Jan 4 2004, 10:24 AM

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think i am going to go ahead and order a new ECM today and see what happens. But i think the new alternator is already fried :(

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by Big Doe@Jan 2 2004, 04:24 PM
So i got a new one at auto zone,
that answers your problem...i have had numerous problems with not only a-zone alts' but starters as well...do yourself a favor and get a napa one

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix+Jan 4 2004, 12:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rollin low in a grand prix @ Jan 4 2004, 12:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Big Doe@Jan 2 2004, 04:24 PM
that answers your problem...i have had numerous problems with not only a-zone alts' but starters as well...do yourself a favor and get a napa one[/b][/quote]
Well i hope thats all it is. I just wanted to explore my options since ive had so much trouble

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
do you have a internal or external voltage regulator? Did you charge the battery when you changed the alternator before you tried to start it, new or not... Cuz alternators are not for charging batteries. I bet it might be your regulator though.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by rollin low in a grand prix+Jan 4 2004, 09:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rollin low in a grand prix @ Jan 4 2004, 09:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Big Doe@Jan 2 2004, 04:24 PM
that answers your problem...do yourself a favor and get a napa one[/b][/quote]
can i get an AMEN?!

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by B_A_RIDER@Jan 5 2004, 02:43 AM
do you have a internal or external voltage regulator? Did you charge the battery when you changed the alternator before you tried to start it, new or not... Cuz alternators are not for charging batteries. I bet it might be your regulator though.
the voltage regulator is inside the alternator. I charged it before i installed it the last time. It even had a new battery. But it originally went out from having to jump it so many times because the car was setting

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well today i put in:
New ECM $100
New alternator (not rebuilt) $200
New belt $30

And gues what? Its still fucked up :angry: :angry:
Before i replaced all this i could still drive it just the charge light would flicker on and off every few minutes. Now after the car ran for a few minutes itsjust drained the battery down to nothing. I dont know what the deal is :angry:

·
Premium Member
64,662 Posts
Time for a visit to the dealership :angry:

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
^^^^^^^ Yep & make sure you wear baggy pants because your ass is gonna be swollen

1 - 20 of 27 Posts