LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started ripping off my top today cuz its starting to crack and been dyed so many times............here is what i need to know...there is foam underneath about 1/8" thick.......do i scrape this all off or just re use it most of it is still perfectly intact......or do i just scrape it all right off and put new material right on the roof?

the sewing is not a problem just this is....any input is great

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
just finished tearing mine off yesterday,, the foam is closed cell foam, if its in good shape you can reuse it, problem is when removing the vinyl usually chunks of the foam will come off with it, these irregularities will show through under the new vinly,, i removed everything, and yes its a pain in the ass, and no there is no easy way,,, good luck..

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car is by no mean a show car i just need something on there to cover it...i got the old one off with only taking a couple lil chunks off......

now is it ok if the foam gets wet or will that just screw it up for me?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
well what can i say you posted the right topic when it said cadillac
to answer your question no you can never reuse the foam and yes their is an easy way to remove it with a cheap 12$ grinder at the hardware store then shoot some primer the real shit not spray cans then the glue then the ribs if your going for the fake convertible look. then the vynil, and last but not least the trim if you need more help please pm m,e

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
yes of course my bad definetly put 1/4 thickfoam on let it set before anything if not you may get rust spots which do show through vynil now iam going to sleep i am traveling to odessa tommorow for the big show so peace out

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Originally posted by mr.fleetwood@Nov 22 2003, 01:10 AM
well what can i say you posted the right topic when it said cadillac
to answer your question no you can never reuse the foam and yes their is an easy way to remove it with a cheap 12$ grinder at the hardware store then shoot some primer the real shit not spray cans then the glue then the ribs if your going for the fake convertible look. then the vynil, and last but not least the trim if you need more help please pm m,e
actually i have seen the old foam reused many times, and no a grinder is not the cure for the problem,,it will tear the foam off yes,, but the glue it will only smear around and burn into the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts