LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seems to have read somewhere that accumulators can also act as shocks, or, is this only true if you have removed the coils springs?

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros@Nov 17 2003, 10:18 PM
I seems to have read somewhere that accumulators can also act as shocks, or, is this only true if you have removed the coils springs?
you can use accums with or without coils and still get a nice ride

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
that's right, they will improve ride with or without coils.
on their own they provide an amount of damping as the fluid flows back out of the acc [you can use a needle valve to regulate this].
with a coil you still get the flow thing happening but they cannot damp the coil movment at all

[i'm assuming you mean "act as a damper" when you say "act as a shock" :) .......cross atlantic language thing ;) ]

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
shocks only replace springs, so if you you replaced your springs with accumulators or had both, using the accums as the softer riding spring when turned on, you would still need shocks regardless if you had only accums or the match pair of both springs and accums,

shocks are a separate functioning component, they dampen the constant travel as air280 was saying....

hope that helps

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK here's the deal...

My teeth rattle riding with hopping coils, I could:

1) install soft coils then change them before I hop,
2) add shocks and then remove them, before I hop,

if the following helps, I could:
3) install accumulators with shut offs,

Which is the best to keep the titties from bouncing all over the place?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
no you want the tits bouncing... lol

I personally would run accums with shut offs,
shocks in the back,

when you want to clown, close off the accums, when you want the pimpn' ride, open them up, you can adjust the pressure to your taste and BAMM, there you have it.... :biggrin:

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Volv_lo@Nov 18 2003, 09:02 AM
no you want the tits bouncing... lol

I personally would run accums with shut offs,
shocks in the back,

when you want to clown, close off the accums, when you want the pimpn'  ride, open them up, you can adjust the pressure to your taste and BAMM, there you have it....  :biggrin:
Richard, check this out and PM me with your thoughts only if you see something really interesting. It has to do with the type of accumulator used. I got a good feeling about this one.

This was another late at night brain shaker. The 3 way valve allows free flow to the accumulator at all times, until you hit the switch for the pump. Then the 3 way switch closes off the back and forth actions of the accumulator. The flow from pump pressure is closed off so the accumulator again is not allowed to have fliud move back and forth, while the 3way valve is activated. But ... Hmm ... see anything else interesting? (in theory)

Yep, another "you seen it first" from me.

Last edited by Hydros at Nov 18 2003, 12:30 PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts