LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF CANDY PAINT IS SCRATHED CAN IT BE FIXED..? SOMEONE TOLD IT CANT..THAT U HAVE TO REPAINT THE WHOLE CAR..SHIT IS TRUE OR NOT..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
i painted a car right before a show... it was kandy tangerine with flakes and ghost patterns.... 3 days before the car show he hit a fence.. dented the fender in badly. the body man pulled out the dent and primed it for me... i blended the base flake and kandy on the fender and it looked perfect couldnt even tell.... i know not ALL colors are easy.. but there is a slight possibility that it might be pulled off but no guarantee.... i wouldn't suggest it, but if the money ain't right might as well try to get it blended.

i painted a towncar about a month ago and 2 weeks later he crashed his bumper and is bugging now for me to fix it for him... it's kandy apple red so i'll have to try and blend it in for him...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
seen it done before, but the same painter that painted car repaired it. so he knew how much he reduced the paint and how many coats he sprayed and how he applied it he knew all the tangibles and he got it pretty damn close he knew it wasnt right but everyone else including myself thought it was on the money till he pointed it out.
And I have seen hacks screw it all to heck made it look like a quilt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Originally posted by AuggieStyle@Oct 9 2007, 10:26 PM~8965539
seen it done before, but the same painter that painted car repaired it. so he knew how much he reduced the paint and how many coats he sprayed and how he applied it he knew all the tangibles and he got it pretty damn close he knew it wasnt right but everyone else including myself thought it was on the money till he pointed it out.
And I have seen hacks screw it all to heck made it look like a quilt.
You are the ONLY one so far that has gotten it right. ;) I had two bodyshops in mid 90s and when we painted any car and it was going to be a CANDY PAINT JOB we would keep a record of the coats of candy paint and what the base we had used for future repairs. :banghead: A candy paint job is nothing more than tainted clear on a base coat. :happysad: You get the different reactions depending on what base they use and how many coats of tainted clear it has. The more coats of clear and the darker a candy paint job gets. So the only thing I can think of to match a candy paint job is to shoot more coats of clear to have the paint job darker and wet sand to check the difference in paint and wet sand again and check the difference in paint and wet sand again and check the difference in paint and wet sand again and check the difference in paint and wet sand again and check the difference in paint and wet sand again and check the difference in paint until you get the color to match perfect. :0 :tears: :mad: :burn: :banghead: :loco: :guns: :machinegun: That is if you know the correct base but even then you can see how much work it is involved. Its less time consuming to just repaint the whole car unless you have someone willing to spend all this time trying to match the color perfect if the word perfect exsists in candy paint jobs. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
FINALLY SOME ONE IN HERE WHOS KNOW SOMETHING .FIND THE ORIGINAL PAINTER HE CAN FIX IT ,WE DO THE SAME THING AT MY SHOP AND WE TRY TO KEEP SOME OF THE BASE FLAKE AND KANDY LABELED FOR THAT JOB FOR TOUCH UPS LATER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
like i stated above.... i fixed a monte fender perfect with no defects a few days later after i had painted it.... he hit a fence and dented it so i blended it in with no problems... because i had painted it i knew exactly how i mixed it and sprayed it... and i used the left over paint.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
like i said before, a very skilled painter could match it even if they didn't originally paint it, it can even be done without having the exact same basecoat, i have personally had to repair candy apple red twice (on bikes i did not originally paint), both times i did spray out after spray out card, and both times i ended up using a silvery pinkish basecoat, then the candy apple red, i used intercoat clear between layers so that i could wetsand in between coats to keep the repair small and to keep the candy from overlapping creating a darker ring, it is a pain in the ass!!!! both times they were on custom harley motorcycles.

its definatley not something i want to do ever again though, in fact the last time i had the chance i elected to just repaint the entire gas tank, flames and all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,033 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 9 2007, 09:43 PM~8965148
candy can be blended, but it takes a very skilled painter to do so, and even then someone with the educated eye could probably notice something.
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Originally posted by 6Deuced@Oct 10 2007, 06:48 PM~8971917
like i said before, a very skilled painter could match it even if they didn't originally paint it, it can even be done without having the exact same basecoat, i have personally had to repair candy apple red </span>twice (on bikes i did not originally paint), both times i did spray out after spray out card, and both times i ended up using a silvery pinkish basecoat, then the candy apple red, i used intercoat clear between layers so that i could wetsand in between coats to keep the repair small and to keep the candy from overlapping creating a darker ring, it is a pain in the ass!!!! both times they were on custom harley motorcycles.

its definatley not something i want to do ever again though, in fact the last time i had the chance i elected to just repaint the entire gas tank, flames and all.

You are correct and a luck man or you know your difference in base coats in the candy jobs. But 80% of candy apple red paint jobs have a silver base and most of the other 20% are a <span style=\'color:eek:range\'>GOLD
base. Although we once shot a candy apple red on a white base on the customers suggestion. :confused: We stuck to silver or gold on the rest after that one. ;) On the silvery pinkish base that you used only made it require less coats of candy to make it dark and rich. :thumbsup: I had never thought of that one and it would of saved me money and coats of candy, good job on that thinking. :worship: Sounds like we have a few good painters in the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
Originally posted by astro64a409@Oct 10 2007, 06:50 PM~8972383
You are correct and a luck man or you know your difference in base coats in the candy jobs. But 80% of candy apple red paint jobs have a silver base and most of the other 20% are a GOLD base. Although we once shot a candy apple red on a white base on the customers suggestion. :confused: We stuck to silver or gold on the rest after that one.  ;) On the silvery pinkish base that you used only made it require less coats of candy to make it dark and rich. :thumbsup: I had never thought of that one and it would of saved me money and coats of candy, good job on that thinking. :worship: Sounds like we have a few good painters in the house.
exactly ;) and yes they were both originally a silver base. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
it can be repaired with out painting the whole car they just have to blend and only quality painters can get this right i have had parts of my car repainted and you would never be able to tell
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top