LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my trucks got a pretty strong engine, thinking 14x7 reverse (I need help figuring out the tires) any ways, ? I don't want to rip them to pieces or any thing

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
they will be fine the lt1 smokes them up all the time....nothing looses or bad has happened...Tires are your preferens 175-70-14

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on home boys sight I like pics

60_bill_14.jpg

64_art_port_1.jpg

86_cut_jack_9.jpg

but remmeber its a truck..... and who all sells the tires? I want some rated for good speed and etc..... no cheapies, if I feel the need to pass some one at 100mph I shall do so, but regularly I just ride slow and low :cool:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chevy 350 with 10:1 compression, cam, headers, 194 heads, manifold, carb, maybe a few other things here and there :)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the website works just fine

I kinda don't like the short boxes as much.... I could of always made mine into one or got one, but don't want to

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Well back in the day everyone used to run those Crager 30 spokes on their rods, I have seen everything from Sedans to Coupes, to T buckets on them, and have seen many blown motors turn them over. I bet that even thought the spokes are smaller on a 100 spoke, the wheel would be stronger altogeather having more spokes that a 30 spoke? If that makes sense to you. I used to run 72 spoke Daytons on my Rx-7 and I never had any problems with that car going over a 120..... I would go ahead and buy them if I was you.

Also as far as you putting your foot into it and worry'n that they will break, I think thats highly unlikely, I mean if you gun it the tires are not just going to hook up and off you go, the tires will break loose and you will spin them.

Also, how many Vettes have you seen running spokes? I have seen my fair share, Also look at vintage race cars like Jag's and Ferrari's, Mg's, Triumphs...... etc...... If they couldnt stand power I dont think major companies would have ran them on their cars....

Just some things to think about, hope I have helped... :cool:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by CastAwayWilson@Oct 6 2003, 10:25 PM
sounds good

tire confusion still present :(
What kind of look are you going for? I mean either you want traditional style or wide tires? I myself would go with a skinny tire.

If you got the horespower and are worried about the tires breaking loose to easily, then you could gear the rear end higher?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well they don't need to be super skinny, but I'd imagine the tire shouldn't protrude past the point where it does right after the wheel

I mean..... I'm not going for a toyo proxes white wall look or any thing like that, just white wall, non low-profile, kinda old school, with a decent speed rating

I won't be smoking the tires unless I have to show up my friends lemon nova people think is fast AHHAHAHHA

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
just dont get whit walls that are shaved in the sidewall if your looking for wide whites.....they tend to get a dry rot look and feel to them quickly.....

you best bet would maybe just go to a local tire place and ahave a look and ask Q's about the standards ect...Some of them know their shit believe it or not...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they do after the 36 inch lift ;)

and I'm not going to wal-mart, actaully les schwabs will do every thing if I get my tires from them

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Cast away: You gotta look at it this way. The standard tire on a 14x7 Rev rim, is your basic 175/70/14. Now damage to any part of the driveline (engine, trans, wheels in this case) comes from traction, hook up, whateveryou wanna call it. With the narrow tire, you will have a severe lacking of this, that is to say, you will have no traction, therefore you will do no damage (maybe smoke the tires bald) HOWEVER, if you were to put a wider tire on, therefore gaining traction you could very well twist the spoke hub in the middle of the rim and bending or snapping spokes. So the way I see it, you have two things to look at.

#1) Using a wire rim and the traditional skinny tire will be fine, but you will not be able to use the power you have upgraded to gain. You can go fast but I'm talkign acceleration. And top speed isnt a good on the skinnies anyways.

#2) You go with a differend style rim (not spoked) and a wider tire and have the ability to use the power without bending spokes.

NOW PERSONALLY i would go with number two, because i have loked at your truck, noticed the lack of chrome, which doesnt make it very traditional style, even tho it is an older style. if you are into the small rims, which I definitly am. Then my sugestion would be a Rocket, Supreme wheel (not wire, but mag) with a wider whitewalled tire on it (possibly 205, 215 maybe?) That way, you get an old skool look (which i think would suit that particular truck more) and a way to use that power youve spent money to gain. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts