LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, and I'm no painter, but is there a way to mix maybe pearls or micro flakes to an existing metallic base paint? I'm looking at an older shade that I like but it doesn't pop much. Just trying to keep my costs down for intercoat clear.

thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
you can, but if its a dry flake you dont wanna add it past the saturation point of you base or its going to be like spraying oatmeal.. in which case youll need to add a clear basecoat binder to your color so it dosent end up sandy when you spray. if your adding liquid pearls to your base you shouldnt have a problem, just thin it out accordingly.... colors always pop better if the pearl or flake is dusted over the top of a drab color. the amount of pearl youll need to add to get a nice effect to the base you may as well just spray an ice pearl over the top mixed with a clear binder, heaps easy to do and not that expensive.... or pick a factory color that has a ton of pearl in it to begin with and looks sick. just my 2c

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, so it sounds like it's more work that it's worth then. I'm looking at some dark browns and they were more popular in the 70s, but they don't pop much. I did see a Nissan Murano in brown that I'll have to research, looked pretty good. Thanks for the info

you can, but if its a dry flake you dont wanna add it past the saturation point of you base or its going to be like spraying oatmeal.. in which case youll need to add a clear basecoat binder to your color so it dosent end up sandy when you spray. if your adding liquid pearls to your base you shouldnt have a problem, just thin it out accordingly.... colors always pop better if the pearl or flake is dusted over the top of a drab color. the amount of pearl youll need to add to get a nice effect to the base you may as well just spray an ice pearl over the top mixed with a clear binder, heaps easy to do and not that expensive.... or pick a factory color that has a ton of pearl in it to begin with and looks sick. just my 2c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.