LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey got this question about wetsanding and buffing single stage paint, cuz i just painted a honda, first i sanded it all down with 320, then i sealed it, and waited for it to dry then i shot the paint, it all looks cool but it's not all that, it dont have that glass look? did i not spray it right? i need help, was the gun not adj. right? oh yeah it was a hvlp.???? Thanks E.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can sand and buff single stage of course.. provided it is not a metalic and you put on enough paint.. If its a metallic then NO YOU CANT..

You dont get show car work out of a gun.. Time behind the gun and learning the products you use increases your spraying ability.. In time you can put out pretty slick finishes with a gun, but it will never be show car worthy..

Also the better the gun, the easier it is to spray and put out nicer work.. A good painter can paint with any gun, but a quality gun can make all the difference.. They atomize paint much better and lay it more uniform too.. Less urethane wave with a top shelf gun in the right painters hand vs a cheapo

For gun adjustments read this:
http://southernpolyurethanes.com/adjusting%20your%20gun.htm

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
the trick of single stage is high presure.... the single stage works as the more paint you lay the flatter and wetter it looks without running with 2-4 coats you should have a slick sinlge stage depending on the color...

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
3 coats ....tack coat first, next 2 coats should be sprayed "wet" thats where the shine comes from

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great web site, man do i really need a paint gun that cost 4- 600.00? man that seems like alot, im just doing home jobs, for 3- 500.00, lol!!! thanks for the help and shit i will post some before and after pic's alil bit later.

·
7,431 Posts
Originally posted by richiev64@Oct 12 2007, 07:11 AM~8983891
great web site, man do i really need a paint gun that cost 4- 600.00? man that seems like alot, im just doing home jobs, for 3- 500.00, lol!!! thanks for the help and shit i will post some before and after pic's alil bit later.

Do 3 or 4 jobs and the gun will have more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
pics??

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by DISTINGUISHED1@Oct 12 2007, 04:45 PM~8987145
pics??
word :cool:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah thats what i thought, just solid's but, thank's alot it was just a 500.00 job, see she was going to go to a place here in town to get a 500.00 job that they where only going to scuff and shoot, and there was only like 8 color's to pick from, you know the deal, so I was like man I 'll do it for that, so I took the money and about 300 out of pocket and went shopin and did it in my garage, it turned out pretty cool, i havent painted in about 4 years, so i was happy to do it, and get the tools!!!!!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Originally posted by richiev64@Oct 14 2007, 08:41 PM~9000970
Yeah thats what i thought, just solid's but, thank's alot it was just a 500.00 job, see she was going to go to a place here in town to get a 500.00 job that they where only going to scuff and shoot, and there was only like 8 color's to pick from, you know the deal, so I was like man I 'll do it for that, so I took the money and about 300 out of pocket and went shopin and did it in my garage, it turned out pretty cool, i havent painted in about 4 years, so i was happy to do it, and get the tools!!!!!
cool, if you can get SS metallic to shine and not be blochy or stripey you did a good job!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Originally posted by 3wheelKing@Oct 15 2007, 02:16 AM~9002935
looks good. but you shoulda told her for an extra hundred you woulda fixed that ding and that big ass dent in the fender
When you don't take out the dents every little damage shows up big time that you didn't really see with the old DULL look but that's the problem with new paint jobs with no body work. :angry:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i asked her and she said it was cool she just wanted paint, so thats whats up. man have you guys ever had a person want paint and when you start to work on a car you know that is a big ass bucket, on the one the front bumper allmost fell off when i started sanding it!!! but the dents are shitty. and you 100% right they show up alot with new dark paint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts