LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had herd that one you have the car running and you undo the battery ground and if the car shuts off the alternator is not working. So if it stays running the the alternator is running the car.

my problem is my volt battery meter light on my 86 regal stays on constinantly. It glows red at idle then brightens as I drive. Seems all fine, but I dont want to get stranded somewhere. what should I do. I hate puttin my car in a shop for some BS.

thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
yea, you can do that, just take the negative post off the battery, it sounds like a charging problem to me though, what you can do is get a multimeter and then have a friend rev the car, turn on the lights, wipers air conditioner etc, if it jumps up over 12 volts, usually between 13 or 14 its the alternator is good, if its around 11 or so its the battery, what it is is the alternator is not charging the system, so its running off the power of the battery,

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea I cant seem to figure out why the light is staying on. Could it be my belt is a little loose? It seems tight. I un hooked my negative lead from the battery wheile the car was running, and it stayed running. I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a 300 watt Kicker amp. Its a chrome alternator that I bought from Jegs for like 120 bucks.

so far it hasnt drained my battery but I dont want to drive it some where and have it all go dead on me. ya know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
1st of all, i keep hearing people talking about disconnecting the battery while car is running. that only depends on year of vehicle. if your car is like an 80 something or older, then sure. newer cars can be damaged by doing that. for example, some cars can have problems from disconnecting the battery while engine is OFF. sometimes they wont even start at first. u have to reset the computer. otherwise if they do run, the ses (service engine soon) light will come on and car will run bad, etc. so people don't give have ass advice, give the whole shit n kaboodle. learn your facts.

some alternators are completely ran by the computers, through the instrument cluster. which acts as a module for the factory alrm systems. did you know that? well now you do.

use a volt meter while engine is running, instead of disconnecting the battery. if its not reading between 13 & 14 volts take it off and have it bench tested at your local parts store and go form there. it could also be a wiring problem. gee wouldn't it suck if u spent another 120 bucks 4 nothing.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by mikeymike1979@Aug 6 2007, 03:02 AM~8481509
1st of all, i keep hearing people talking about disconnecting the battery while car is running. that only depends on year of vehicle. if your car is like an 80 something or older, then sure. newer cars can be damaged by doing that. for example, some cars can have problems from disconnecting the battery while engine is OFF. sometimes they wont even start at first. u have to reset the computer. otherwise if they do run, the ses (service engine soon) light will come on and car will run bad, etc. so people don't give have ass advice, give the whole shit n kaboodle. learn your facts.

some alternators are completely ran by the computers, through the instrument cluster. which acts as a module for the factory alrm systems. did you know that? well now you do.

use a volt meter while engine is running, instead of disconnecting the battery. if its not reading between 13 & 14 volts take it off and have it bench tested at your local parts store and go form there. it could also be a wiring problem. gee wouldn't it suck if u spent another 120 bucks 4 nothing.
took the words right out my mouth

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Always remove the negative first.

Just like life, the more positive that is connected, the better the outcome :biggrin:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by joe64ss@Sep 6 2007, 01:38 PM~8729695
Always remove the negative first.

Just like life, the more positive that is connected, the better the outcome :biggrin:
"And next on Dr. Phil, life lessons from joe64ss...."

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
it is the positive terminal-if the positive terminal is off and it still runs that means the cars running on the alternator and not battery which means alternator is good-if she dies get a new one(and yea this applies to older cars not jacked up computer havin bullshit) :biggrin:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by danp68@Sep 6 2007, 08:48 PM~8733325
it is the positive terminal-if the positive terminal is off and it still runs that means the cars running on the alternator and not battery which means alternator is good-if she dies get a new one(and yea this applies to older cars not jacked up computer havin bullshit) :biggrin:
:uh: :roflmao:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by danp68@Sep 6 2007, 07:48 PM~8733325
:nono:

MOST OLDER VEHICLE HAVE A WIRE OFF THE ALTERNATOR THAT CONNECTS TOO THE POSITIVE OF THE BATTERY. IT WOULD BE COMMON SENSE THAT IF YOU REMOVE THAT OFF THE BATTERY, THEN THE CAR WILL TURN OFF.

IF YOU REMOVE THE NEGATIVE FROM THE BATTERY TOO CHECK IF THE ALTERNATOR IS RUNING, AND THE CAR DIES, YOU BREAK THE CHAIN OF THE BATTERY SUPPLING POWER WHICH WILL KILL THE CAR.

SO IF YOU REMOVE THE NEGATIVE WIRE, AND THE ALTERNATOR IS WORKING, IT WILL KEEP YOUR CAR RUNNING BECAUSE IT IS GROUND AT A DIFFERENT POINT OF THE CAR

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
have someone follow you to the the autoparts store and have the battery and alternator tested.......

·
Registered
849 Posts
try checking to make sure that all the wires are good and not loose, i had a problem where my batt would die after a few days and it was that the power wire to the starter was a little loose and was not chargeing enough but for a few weeks earlier my alt light would come on and everything checked out fine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts