LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a-arms? My neighbor has a 220 buzz box that he claims will weld up to a 1/2 inch. Anyone ever tried this?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
stick welding produces stronger welds than a mig..

it's just harder to get the hang of..

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 25 2003, 08:29 PM

agreed .

i am a professional welder(not bragin just lettin you know i am speqakin from knowlage)

if you can get the weld to penitrate and have a good weld then you are better off arc welding but it is slower and more harmful to your health. due to the flux burnin off the rod.

60 10 for the root andd gaps 7018 for the cover pass.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by juandik+Oct 25 2003, 09:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (juandik @ Oct 25 2003, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--216RIDER@Oct 25 2003, 08:29 PM

agreed .

i am a professional welder(not bragin just lettin you know i am speqakin from knowlage)

if you can get the weld to penitrate and have a good weld then you are better off arc welding but it is slower and more harmful to your health. due to the flux burnin off the rod.

60 10 for the root andd gaps 7018 for the cover pass.[/b][/quote]
are you ASW certified? what class?

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
i am U.A. certified pipe welder in pipefitters local 392
from cinci oiho
certified in heli-arc stainless and carbon steel and stick welding
stuctural and pipe

honestly i don't know how they class it .

hey you know what you say to a guy with an i.q. of 60?

nice weld!

·
Registered
33 Posts
stick or mig welding is fine for car grade steel (1/4 inch and smaller mild steel)...

you can do it with a $200 lincoln stick welder or a $400 lincon mig welder it's all your technique....

i'm currently using a lincoln 130 amp mig welder with a 25/75 co2/argon gas mix. the welds are beautiful and it has nice penetration...

like a professional told me one time, it's 90% welding skill, and 10% welding equipment...

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by juandik@Oct 25 2003, 11:59 PM
i am U.A. certified pipe welder in pipefitters local 392
from cinci oiho
stuctural and pipe

nice weld!
lol

I'm planning on taking my certification test in a couple of months..

I'm not real sure yet how the class thing works, I'll just do whatever tests they throw my way.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER+Oct 26 2003, 10:17 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (216RIDER @ Oct 26 2003, 10:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--juandik@Oct 25 2003, 11:59 PM
i am  U.A. certified pipe welder in pipefitters local 392
from cinci oiho
stuctural and pipe

nice weld!
lol

I'm not real sure yet how the class thing works, I'll just do whatever tests they throw my way.. :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
I've been thinking of doing that as well. I learned to weld stick on my own. I've gotten pretty good. But, it never hurts to learn more. The certification wont hurt either :biggrin:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welding is welding mig,tig, stick, ox/act., its all trhe same and it can all be strong enough to hold any load as long as you know what your doing.

I like stick welding but the fact of the matter is MIG is so much more convient and easy to do that it is the most common choice.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Dirty only sticks. I never like that MIG crap. 6011 for the pass/penetration, 7018 for the cover.

·
Registered
485 Posts
what the hell gizmo some more old shit

·
Still on one....
6,513 Posts
Everybody like's different types.. i use stick and mig just depends on what i'm working on. I use a stick all day at work so it's easy, mig you can pick up quick and put out decent welds, stick takes a little more time...( for some people ). If my welds are holding 230 tons everyday i think my a-arms will hold.. ;)

·
More posts than Cornbread
9,662 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Oct 26 2003, 08:17 AM~1212740
lol

I'm not real sure yet how the class thing works, I'll just do whatever tests they throw my way..  :biggrin:

damn Im going to school here right now for welding, full time mon-fri 5-10 :biggrin:

Im working on my 6010 test plate right now in stick then next my 7018 test plate, then Mig, Then Tig, then pipe. by May 30 next year ( grad date )as long as I pass my tests Ill be certified too ;)

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Oct 25 2003, 09:39 PM~1211145
I have a 220 buzz box. I do all my welding with it. You just have to pactice at it

Samething here, I plan on wrappin my frame with it too, already built my racks with it, like he said it takes practice :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts