LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 929 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting off with a Canadian Built, 1 of 3116 Impala Convertible. I had it listed on here for a bit, had some offers, had some punk aka "lowrider_cutlass" out of Toronto try to pull a scam and sell it on here, thinking no one on here would know any different. Last was it getting packed up to go to Miami but the buyer backed at the last min. Here it is waiting to go under the knife.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It came with 283 2 barrel from the factory, but needed a better swap. I picked up a 6.0 LQ4 and 4L80e combo out of Texas with 40,000miles. Came pretty much complete. Missing is the ECM and mass air flow sensor, and some of the harness. I'll be going with a replacement unit from http://ls1wiringharness.com/

The 283 and powerglide before

Dropping it with the oil pan and tranny in place

The clearence issue with stock pan

The transmisson hump needed some cutting to make the fit. After checking pinon angle, the first floor support will need to be cut. I have to replace it anyways as it is rusted out, but will need modify the new one to keep the structural intergrity.

The custom motor mounts. I'm trying to build this on a budget and spending big bucks on the junk I've seen out there, I'll fab my own.

These pics are for mock up. I need to drill in more holes to be able to bolt them to the crossmember. Passenger and drivers are different in shape, so the plates are contured to the frame.

I wanted to save some cash and see if it would work. I modified the stock truck pan. I sectioned out the biggest piece I could safely do without going too far. With the engine installed, and the pan fitted, It will sit about 5/16-3/8" at it's lowest point of the pan above the k member. I didn't have access to a band saw, so I used a sawzall.

Now, the problem is that the lower drain plug piece will not fit on the pan. I will be using 3/8 aluminum plate to bridge the gap between the two. The plate will then be cut out to allow oil flow to drain plug. Mock up fit up.

This is what the crossmember clearence must be to clear the the lowest point of the K member. I will have to notch the passenger side very little to clear the a/c bracket.

Motor mount mocked into place.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had an extra Impala rear end that I used to get the brackets off of. I welded a piece of steel across to keep the, aligned. Then welded them to the 85 Toyota rear diff.

Stock 7.5" carrier

TrueTrac Locker

After putting in new pinion bearings and races, upsized bearings for the 50mm carrier journals, it was then professionally setup for pinion preloaded/lashed. I am waiting for the disc brake kit to come in before installing the axles.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thank for the link to your build up.

I was thinking of going with a separate LS-1 Wire harness aswell, But i found a
complete Painless Wiring LS-1/Chassis harness Part # 60608 that suits my 64 setup.
(power windows/locks/antennas/AC/heat/radio etc etc)
just an FYI, the cheapest i have seen is right under $1400 shipped...

Why did you opt to make those type of mounts instead of the easier to make LSX brackets?

and use OEM poly mounts?

·
Registered
138,386 Posts
Originally posted by doctahouse@Jan 3 2010, 12:59 AM~16166611
I'm starting off with a Canadian Built, 1 of 3116 Impala Convertible. I had it listed on here for a bit, had some offers, had some punk aka "lowrider_cutlass" out of Toronto try to pull a scam and sell it on here, thinking no one on here would know any different. Last was it getting packed up to go to Miami but the buyer backed at the last min. Here it is waiting to go under the knife.
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Reckless@Jan 3 2010, 11:15 AM~16169488
Thank for the link to your build up.

I was thinking of going with a separate LS-1 Wire harness aswell, But i found a
complete Painless Wiring LS-1/Chassis harness Part # 60608 that suits my 64 setup.
(power windows/locks/antennas/AC/heat/radio etc etc)
just an FYI, the cheapest i have seen is right under $1400 shipped...

Why did you opt to make those type of mounts instead of the easier to make LSX brackets?

and use OEM poly mounts?

I made these brackets because I needed the oil pan to higher than the crossmember. I have the same pic saved myself. With the square plate, I was able to move the tabs anywhere the getthe best fit.

I used poly inserts (9.9106 Energy Suspension) for the seamless pipe. The lower were custom made. They were just under ten bucks for the poly kit....

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
Originally posted by doctahouse@Jan 3 2010, 02:57 PM~16170667
Yep, HE* edit posted it up here in the classified as his own and got called on it by some fellow layitlow members. He failed to notice the world is small and my previous posted ad......
I remember that shit,I'd be pissed too :angry:
I'm gonna be watching this build,you got some cool plans for sure. :cool:

·
Registered
138,386 Posts
Originally posted by doctahouse@Jan 3 2010, 03:57 PM~16170667
Yep, HE* edit posted it up here in the classified as his own and got called on it by some fellow layitlow members. He failed to notice the world is small and my previous posted ad......
I don't know why he would do that though...But nice buildup...Keep up the good work man!!! Nice to see Canadians doing it up!! :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by lowdeville+Jan 3 2010, 02:37 PM~16171022-->
I remember that shit,I'd be pissed too :angry:
I'm gonna be watching this build,you got some cool plans for sure. :cool:
[/b]
You know how I do, I'll get it together!! Just waiting to hear back from Iron Garage, they're bringing in my sheet metal. Check out their shop...unreal....and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ http://www.theirongarage.com/ Pop's has done lots of work for them in the past so I'll be getting a break on the prices and freight.

<!--QuoteBegin-LuxuriouSMontreaL
@Jan 3 2010, 02:43 PM~16171065
I don't know why he would do that though...But nice buildup...Keep up the good work man!!! Nice to see Canadians doing it up!! :cool:  :cool:
Thanks, just trying something new with this build. Should turn some heads once it's finished.

·
Banned
10,571 Posts

·
Registered
138,386 Posts
Originally posted by doctahouse@Jan 3 2010, 05:45 PM~16171526
You know how I do, I'll get it together!! Just waiting to hear back from Iron Garage, they're bringing in my sheet metal. Check out their shop...unreal....and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  http://www.theirongarage.com/ Pop's has done lots of work for them in the past so I'll be getting a break on the prices and freight.
Thanks, just trying something new with this build. Should turn some heads once it's finished.
:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by ABLOWBOY+Jan 3 2010, 07:31 PM~16173655-->
GOOD LUCK ON THE BUILD THE  63 IS 1 OF THE BEST :biggrin:  ;)
[/b]
Thanks!!

<!--QuoteBegin-LuxuriouSMontreaL
@Jan 3 2010, 08:35 PM~16174362
:cool:  :cool:

I was in there looking around in my socks it's so clean!!! That orange roadster with the big blower has over 1000hp and the guy's into for $350,000!!!! Stupid money. The Camaro and Mustangs are all the Dynacorn bodies and done from that. They're a manufacturer like Ford, GM etc, so they make they're own vins. Those complete Camaros go for about $250k in some cases.

·
Registered
138,386 Posts
Originally posted by doctahouse@Jan 3 2010, 11:00 PM~16174620
Thanks!!
I was in there looking around in my socks it's so clean!!! That orange roadster with the big blower has over 1000hp and the guy's into for $350,000!!!! Stupid money. The Camaro and Mustangs are all the Dynacorn bodies and done from that. They're a manufacturer like Ford, GM etc, so they make they're own vins. Those complete Camaros go for about $250k in some cases.
I say no doubt this 63 will be badass :cool:

·
"Old School DJz"
484 Posts
:biggrin: Glad you started working on that vert Dr. :biggrin: I remember saving up to get it from you... good Luck on the build! :cool:

1 - 20 of 929 Posts