LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's the deal i have heard that candies are hard to "touch up".........

and a friend of mine who owns a lowrider got his car keyed this summer pretty bad from front to back..........

now i only heard that candy can be touched up........

but i want to know for sure????

did anyone ever try it???

i am now scared of this happening to my ride when it is finished so i might shoot a kandy basecoat using a maroon base......with 100% coverage fireball (red) flakes instead???

i really wanna spray the candy and use a silver basecoat and silver flakes but if it is hard to touch up i don't wanna chance my car getting keyed........

please shed some light on this for me i want my car to look like a bass boat when it is finished.........the car is ready to be sealed and painted right now..........but damn it's getting cold........

Last edited by SWITCHCRAFT at Oct 22 2003, 12:02 AM

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
ASK THE GUY WHOS PAITING IT...............................

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Candy is quite hard to touch up did it a few times though. Painted and sold acandy red cadillac and a while later his girlfreind keyed the shit out of it and just put a pinstripe on it and painted below the pinstripe and it looked pretty good. Another way i did it was to rebase the panels that needed to be fixed and paint the candy on those spots then pull off the tape and spray some more candy over the rest of the car. But if your going to just repaint like a fender it can be matched but its pretty hard to get a perfect match.

The silver base will more than likely look way better than the maroon base.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by KandyRedLac@Oct 21 2003, 04:44 PM
Candy is quite hard to touch up did it a few times though. Painted and sold acandy red cadillac and a while later his girlfreind keyed the shit out of it and just put a pinstripe on it and painted below the pinstripe and it looked pretty good. Another way i did it was to rebase the panels that needed to be fixed and paint the candy on those spots then pull off the tape and spray some more candy over the rest of the car. But if your going to just repaint like a fender it can be matched but its pretty hard to get a perfect match.

i agree w/ kandyred lac-----a "true candy" paint job is difficult to color match in my experience----i have done it as well but if you llok really really close you can see the difference----if i were you i would go w/ the "traditional" style of silver base and flake and not worry too much about key marks etc----if it does happen then that is when you start to pattern out your car or like kandy said use other paint "tricks" to hide the area----- and most of the time if you do it right you will end up w/ a better looking paint job than just straight flaked candy-----good luck bro----peace

"richee"

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks candredlac and lowriderlife!!!.........you guys pretty much saved me more money.......... :biggrin:

well i guess i will spray it with the silver base!!!

i will post pics. when it's done.........i just got a little bit more sanding of the primer........then it's on to sealer and paint!!!!

ONE OTHER THING...........

i was gonna shoot it in the garage using a propane heater but now i might shoot it at a friends shop...........

i didn't wanna shoot it there because then i can't really say all my work was done in my garage.............but it's getting cold :(

it's in the 50's here now.........has anyone painted in their garage before with a propane heater???

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
** I was at the "Back to the 50's" car show this summer & there was a car at the HOK booth that had a blend in done on the front fender in an all out Kandy paint.... Now, Jon Kosmoski himself dared me to find that repair & even with the sun shining bright --- I failed at my attempt ... He told me if I was hot or cold & I could see no flaw.... But thats from a man that created the paint & has been using it since it was invented....Both these paints are a 3 stage paint & the facts are that the "KBC" is easier to paint & touch up ... I would do the KBC-- you will save $$$ both ways & the paints actually look very similar ...... I saw a Bike & a Roadster -- side by side & the colors were very close ---- even in the sun.....BUt thats HOK professional paint jobs too........I have seen it & it looks good w/ less $$$$$$$ --- thats a new set of rims in price difference.... ;)

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Oct 22 2003, 11:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Oct 22 2003, 11:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--KandyRedLac@Oct 21 2003, 04:44 PM
Candy is quite hard to touch up did  it a few times though. Painted and sold acandy red cadillac and a while later his girlfreind keyed the shit out of it and just put a pinstripe on it and painted below the pinstripe and it looked pretty good. Another way i did it was to rebase the panels that needed to be fixed and paint the candy on those spots then pull off the tape and spray some more candy over the rest of the car. But if your going to just repaint like a fender it can be matched but its pretty hard to get a perfect match.

i agree w/ kandyred lac-----a "true candy" paint job is difficult to color match in my experience----i have done it as well but if you llok really really close you can see the difference----if i were you i would go w/ the "traditional" style of silver base and flake and not worry too much about key marks etc----if it does happen then that is when you start to pattern out your car or like kandy said use other paint "tricks" to hide the area----- and most of the time if you do it right you will end up w/ a better looking paint job than just straight flaked candy-----good luck bro----peace

"richee"[/b][/quote]
I always trust your advice with painting they ideas you gave me are in the process of being done now.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by Bigthangs+Oct 26 2003, 09:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bigthangs @ Oct 26 2003, 09:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2003, 11:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--KandyRedLac
@Oct 21 2003, 04:44 PM
Candy is quite hard to touch up did  it a few times though. Painted and sold acandy red cadillac and a while later his girlfreind keyed the shit out of it and just put a pinstripe on it and painted below the pinstripe and it looked pretty good. Another way i did it was to rebase the panels that needed to be fixed and paint the candy on those spots then pull off the tape and spray some more candy over the rest of the car. But if your going to just repaint like a fender it can be matched but its pretty hard to get a perfect match.

"richee"
I always trust your advice with painting they ideas you gave me are in the process of being done now.
thanx for the props bro----just trying to help homies out----peace

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** You shouldnt be worried about someone keying your car .. If you put it out for someone to do it -- then you take that risk... I will never leave my car out in the open for a long time after I get it done again.... If so then i will discuss it with my insurance agent about how much time & effort went into the car & make sure you have set prices on certain items on the car .. Like paint & body , Interior, hydraulics, Ect... Your agent will tailor an insurance package to your needs... If they cant -- Move on to someone who can....... KBC is cheaper & looks good.......A full Kandy just cant be beat on the streets .... ;)

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i'm going to go full candy using the silver base.........

ok i drive my car to say wal mart sometimes...........i park it in the sticks though.................i drive it alot in the summer.............but the thing that scares me is there are alot of jealous pricks here and i don't trust them...........but i am going to take lowriderlife's advice and shoot patterns when it happens though,,,,,never thought of that..........

thanks lowriderlife!!! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts