LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 87 el camino and the battery keeps dieing now I have no system yet and I have put in a new optama battery and new alt, I even changed the lil plug that goes on the top of the alt. Ill be driving and my lights will get dim and the car cuts off any one know what it could be? Any input will be considered thanx!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the same problem with my malibu. The brown wire that connects to the alternator was not giving power to the alternator -try to test manually gave a cable connect to pos on batt and the other end connect it were the brown wire goes this will exite the alt and it will charge

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had the same problem with my malibu. The brown wire that connects to the alternator was not giving power to the alternator -try to test manually gave a cable connect to pos on batt and the other end connect it were the brown wire goes this will exite the alt and it charge
X2 on that...also make sure that the bulb on the dash that indicates the battery is charging hasnt blown. That bulb completes the circuit for the brown wire to the back of the dash. If the bulb is out the alt will not charge the battery. IDK why GM designed it that way but its fuckin dumb and left me stranded a few times till I figured it out.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
X2 on that...also make sure that the bulb on the dash that indicates the battery is charging hasnt blown. That bulb completes the circuit for the brown wire to the back of the dash. If the bulb is out the alt will not charge the battery. IDK why GM designed it that way but its fuckin dumb and left me stranded a few times till I figured it out.
You can always make a jumper from the output of alternator to + of battery (also a part of the BIG3) in car audio.All it really does is give you a direct charge to the battery w/o having to loop around.

Good info on the buld.Had that happen when i got my car

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
like said check all grounds really well, battery should be grounded to frame and body and sometimes engine, then engine should have a ground strap on the back to the firewall. Also use a voltmeter to make sure the alternator power is getting to the battery and fuse box. Also check fuses, there are some batt fuses and such that could screw things up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.