LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
usually when i start my car for the first time in a while, i have to give it gas before i turn the key....today, i shut the car and like 5 mins later i started it up again and it did this, or at least thats what it felt like...usually, i tap the gas once then it starts fine..this time i tried it like 5 or 6 times and nothin, i had to hold the gas almost all the way down and turn the key and it finally came on....then it happened again about 2 hours later....it sounds like its gonna start but then nothin, i have to play with it and hit the gas and turn the key at the same time.....anyone have any idea why?

·
Registered
725 Posts
this is a carb system right? maybe u have too much air and not enough gas mixing. i dont really know how to explain that without visually showing u, but i hope u know wut i mean. peace :cheesy:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by 77doba@Oct 31 2003, 01:57 AM
......but would that just kinda suddenly happen? when i left work tonight it seemed to start fine but when i went home and shut my car off for a few mins, then came out and started it again, thats when it started doin it for the first time
Im not ASE certified but things can get lose just by hitting a bump if its been off for a while and gone un noticed. they other thing i can think of is if ur carb thats clogged or ur fuel line :dunno:

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE ITS LEAKING INTERNALLY maybe externally FROM THE FUEL BOWL ...

like its rich or flooded and when you start it after days you gotta crank it and hit the gas ..

also could be a lil bit of timing ... i dont even touch my gas pedal to start the car i got it set up like that

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
try some lucas fuel treatment on the next tank fill up, then get some gumout or STP carb cleaner spray. follow directions and see if those 2 cheapies solve the problems.

if not then you might need fuel/air mixture adjusting or carb rebuild.

Last edited by Torx at Nov 9 2003, 10:22 AM

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
there are a few things you can do, its obviously having fuel trouble when the engine is warm so try this first.

Get a clean rag,
take the airfilter off the carb
start the engine up
hold the throttle linkage open until the carb is revving contantly at about 4-5000 rpm (pretty high and fast)
bunch the rag up and stuff it over the throttle body and hold it there until the revs drop to about 1500 like its gonna stall
dont move the throttle linkage, its dying because there is no air getting through
before it stalls lift the rag off the inlet and let the engine cough and splutter back into life.

Do this a few times, its called a $5 tune up and will make the engine run on neat fuel for a few seconds each time which will clean the inside of the intake system a treat, (you cna see the crap fly out the exhaust, when your done the car will run and start a lot easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts