LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got a 1985 regal with the 231 3.8L V-6......It was running good a couple days ago, but now its running like shit....it takes forever to satrt it and when its cranking its like you can hear the flywheel and the starter grinding with each other, then wehn it starts, its just putts real bad, like if you go behind the car and listen to the tail pipe, its real bumpity bump bump sounding.....it wasnt doing this on wednesday, hell i drove it to work that day and it ran fine...now it is, i just had to limp this fucker home to try and figure it out....and when im driving, if i punch it, nothing happens, it just sounds like the motor is trying to rev but won't....

just so you guys know, i was having problems about a month and a half ago and i was told that maybe i got a hold of some bad gas, we took the carb off and it had hella build up on the underside of it and i cleaned that out and put it back on, i changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and changed the oil so all that shit is pretty new.....what do you guys think

·
Registered
531 Posts
oh i forgot to tell you. if you did all the tune up stuff try to put a new fuel filter if it hasnt been changed already

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 75caprice@Sep 2 2005, 01:04 PM~3740232
pour some heet in the tank to get trid of any moisture. maybe some hater poured something in your tank?
i was kinda afraid of that, don't know for sure if thats whats going on or not, but is that what the stuff is called...."heet"????

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another thing is you can hear some sort of knocking coming from the motor when you rev it....

anyone know where i can find the fuel filter

·
Registered
531 Posts
look under you ride. you will see the lines running along the frame i think on the pass side. heet is just some additive for the gas that gets moisture out. it will be almost at any gas station you go to. its a yellow bottle.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the noise you here might be detonation from the fuel burning too lean. sometimes wrong plugs can cause this. if you put bosch, twin spark, platinum plugs it can cause this noise to happen. stick with ac delco on a v6

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i put the oem style plugs.....i didnt get any upgraded type plugs or anything.....i was thinkin of checking the u-joint, you think it may be bad or something....cause its a knocking....i dont know what the sound is coming from..

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had the same motor in a Cuttlass, same year, the coil wire was loose, no shit, I thought I blew the motor. Check the coil, I'll bet that's what is is, mine sounded EXACTLY how you describe.

·
Registered
638 Posts
As for your fuel filter it is located on the front of your carb, it is inside what looks lke a barrel sticking out of the front, you have to use 2 wrenches to open the nuts that hold it on the carb, both have to be turned opposite directions to loosen it. make sure to put some kind of rag on top of your intake manifold to catch the gas thats going to come out. You should also keep some kind of container close to so that the rag or whatever does not get completely soaked.

The knocking you are describing might be coming from the bottom end. I say might and I hope it's not cause this happed to me and my motor spun a rod as a result of it. I really hope this does not happen to you though, if you can't figure it out go to a professional mechanic you can trust, he might be able to help you before it gets worse. Eric. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Originally posted by 85_regal_ryda@Sep 3 2005, 05:26 PM~3746709
no i put the oem style plugs.....i didnt get any upgraded type plugs or anything.....i was thinkin of checking the u-joint, you think it may be bad or something....cause its a knocking....i dont know what the sound is coming from..

if your motor is knocking, its proably the bearings.
v6s are known for that.

theres a reason why people throw away V6's and put in 350s. :cheesy:

best if you have the engine rebuilt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by 75caprice@Sep 2 2005, 11:04 AM~3740232
pour some heet in the tank to get trid of any moisture. maybe some hater poured something in your tank?
if your car is fuel injected DO NOT use heet it will eat away the wires in your fuel injectors use one that says fuel injector safe right on it like the valvoline shit i think its called pyroil

·
Registered
42 Posts
my bad you just said it was carbureted but just to let anyone runnin with injectors. But i still wouldn't use heet brand i would use somethin else, i've heard some bad shit about heet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts