LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got an 82 fleetwood with a 472ci in it, stock carby, is there an aftermarket carby that i can run to stop it stalling out when i hit the switches - it dies even with just a couple of flicks of the switch.
would a 4x4 carb help at all or is there a mod you can do to the stock carby?

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
what about running dual carbs, im switching my setup to dual carbs will i still flood out when gas hopping?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i like edlebrock carbs, i know they make a off road carb i think its caled the avs series, ive had a edlebrock on my race car for 5 years no prob, and on my caddy for 3, on the caddy its hard starting but i think its the carb adaptor acting like a tunnel ram, making it hard to start

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah was just flicking thru summit racing site, had them there for $418 - was just wondering whether they were the same as 4x4 carbys?

what about other brands?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by budgetblueoval@Oct 14 2007, 07:27 PM~9000201
hay how do u have a 472 i got a 83 and i got the 4.1 liter that 472 cant be the orginal motor, is it?
yeah swapped in from a '68 caddy, tight fit but weighs a ton! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i looked at the avs and they look the same as mine only with black linkage i wolud suggest one of those, but if u have to use a adaptor like me just change the intake because with carb up like mine it makes for hard startimg, i had it get a adaptor from that carb to a quadrajet intake, but in m race car the carb is on the intake and it fires rate up

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Originally posted by 63 ss rider@Oct 14 2007, 07:16 PM~9000114
what about running dual carbs, im switching my setup to dual carbs will i still flood out when gas hopping?

if you have probs with 1... having 2 wont make a diff in my point of view.. cuz the problem will be the float because of you hopping it affects the float.. because when the fuel is empty in the bowl.. the float is lowered which lifts the float needle forcing more fuel in the bowl... once the bowl is full the float raises which drop the float needle in the needle seat preventing a overflow in the bowl and more fuel in the bowl until it becomes low again.. so hopping affects the float which messes up the float needle.. and gassing at the same time reduces the fuel in the bowl... which will in time stall

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im figuring i may need to get an adapter or something to make carby fit the stock caddy manifold, there dont seem to be any aftermarket ones made for them??

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
if i could afford it i wouldnt even put on a carb, i switch to fuel injected lol.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Oct 15 2007, 02:47 AM~9002524
if i could afford it i wouldnt even put on a carb, i switch to fuel injected lol.
X2.....WELL WORTH THE TIME AND INVESTMENT

·
Registered
266 Posts
I GOTTA HOLLEY STREET AVENGER AND HAVE NO PROBLEM HOPPIN OR 3 WHEELIN. NEVER STALLED & STARTS RIGHT UP AFTER HOPPIN. TRY ADDING ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Hey I put a 472 in my 80 CDV. I was worried about it stalling and was looking at the holly carb but I went with the quadrajet instead. I wonder if i will have the same issues with stalling?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Originally posted by doctahouse@Oct 14 2007, 08:34 PM~9000909
I am using the Holley lowrider avenger. It does not come tuned out of the box. There is many adjustments that you will have to do.(In most cases) If you do go with this carb, make sure to get the DVD on how to tune them, becuase the adjustments are endless.
do you have any probs with it... did it ever stall once u got it up and running good?
and how much did it cost you..

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by abas_abas@Oct 15 2007, 06:24 PM~9008530
do you have any probs with it... did it ever stall once u got it up and running good?
and how much did it cost you..
they have got them on summit racing for about $418

then again, the edelbrock offroad carbs are about $270.....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Originally posted by 68phatcad@Oct 15 2007, 07:04 PM~9008956
they have got them on summit racing for about $418

then again, the edelbrock offroad carbs are about $270.....

is there any for q jets... or they stop making carbs

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by crucialjp@Oct 15 2007, 08:53 AM~9004049
Hey I put a 472 in my 80 CDV. I was worried about it stalling and was looking at the holly carb but I went with the quadrajet instead. I wonder if i will have the same issues with stalling?
i think mine has a holley on it (motor was already swapped in when i bought it)

mine stalls out after literally 3 hops (and chipping! :biggrin: ) then takes about 4 or 5 times to start up again

1 - 20 of 27 Posts