LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: I am going to be rebuilding a carburetor soon and i would like to know how long it may take...just a guess from someone who has done it before, or someone that just has useless information in their head lol
wut would the degree of difficulty on a scale on 1-10 be?
:dunno:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Id say a 6. How long have you been working on cars? I rebuilt a carb for my 73 Lincoln but I needed an accelerator pump and I didnt feel like trying to find one so I bought a new one. I actually have rebuilt 2 carbs, an Autolite 2100 on my 75 F100 and also an Autolite 4300 on my 73 Lincoln. If you can change the spark plugs and set the timing on a car you should be able to do it.

bunyan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh yeah,
Heres a tip. When you take the top part of the carb off the bottom part, make sure you stick your head down there and look at the bottom of the top piece as you are pulling it off. On my carbs the little parts mostly stayed in the bottom part but I think one time one of them stuck to the top part of the carb. Luckily I saw where it fell at. Also Its good to look there and also see where the little tubes/plugs on the bottom of the top piece go on the bottom piece.

bunyan

·
Registered
240 Posts
what up cuz.... It usually takes me a few hours to do one just because i like to take my time and make sure that everything is clean and in order..... Make sure you get a bucket of varsole(sp) parts cleaner and let the carb soak.... Good luck and let us know how it turned out...

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by loweride2freedom@Jul 27 2005, 10:40 AM
:dunno: I am going to be rebuilding a carburetor soon and i would like to know how long it may take...just a guess from someone who has done it before, or someone that just has useless information in their head lol
wut would the degree of difficulty on a scale on 1-10 be?
:dunno:
[snapback]3490178[/snapback]​
Depends on the carb, I can do a Stromberg/Holley 94 in about an hour taking my time, a 4 barrel Holley takes alittle longer for me and a Quadrajet is out of the question for me to rebuild it.

Just take your time and follow the directions and most people will do ok.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnx for all the help but i wuz searchin online and it recommended that amateurs :( should not screw around with that brand of carburetor (carter thermo-quad) so a pre-rebuilt carb has been ordered today.

:biggrin: thnx for the help

·
Registered
240 Posts
Originally posted by loweride2freedom@Jul 28 2005, 03:40 PM
thnx for all the help but i wuz searchin online and it recommended that amateurs :(  should not screw around with that brand of carburetor (carter thermo-quad) so a pre-rebuilt carb has been ordered today.
:biggrin: thnx for the help
[snapback]3497969[/snapback]​

man don't get scared of what they said, you never know how it will turn out when you rebuild it... But since you got a new one coming you should still rebuild the old one just to get formiliar with the inside of a carb and it will be a good learn experience for you ... Once you rebuild it but it on the car and see how she works...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts