LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
IGOTABIG
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I gots an 80 Caddy Coupe and I gots some 14s, when coming to a stop cars pulls to the left, so I removed them and placed the stocks and now it doesn't pull to the left at all. Took into Firestone and they said everything is OK. (with stocks)
the tires on the 14s are OK no uneven wear and air pressure was fine.
What can it be?
Anyone else hear had that same problem with their rides??
Peace :biggrin:
Another thing, when storing the wheels is it best to remove some of the air pressure in the tires?

·
IGOTABIG
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by CRAZY_NDN604@Jan 19 2010, 04:38 AM~16336457
maybe balance the rims =\
rims are already balanced from the factory and as well as the tires when they were mounted at the shop

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Swap the tires from side to side , see if it pulls in the other direction. That should tell you if its in the tires.

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by dj kurse 1@Jan 19 2010, 12:23 AM~16335366
so I gots an 80 Caddy Coupe and I gots some 14s, when coming to a stop cars pulls to the left, so I removed them and placed the stocks and now it doesn't pull to the left at all. Took into Firestone and they said everything is OK. (with stocks)
the tires on the 14s are OK no uneven wear and air pressure was fine.
What can it be?
Anyone else hear had that same problem with their rides??
Peace :biggrin:
Another thing, when storing the wheels is it best to remove some of the air pressure in the tires?
No need to take any air out when you store the wheels, it will do nothing but make them harder to roll around.

Unbalanced wheels will give you a shimmy in the steering wheel under all speeds, they will not make the car pull. I'm going to guess that you've got some sort of brake issue such as a sticking caliper or caliper bracket pins that is causing it to pull WHEN BRAKING. I'll bet you're running 175/70 or 175/75 14's on those wires and due to the smaller contact patch of rubber to street, it's much more noticable.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
sticking caliper

·
Soy Tu Padre
565 Posts
i got the same problem in my monte,been to lazy to go get it checked.is the only way to fix a sticking caliper replacing it?i think my rotor might be warped too cuz it shakes when i brake.bad bearing??? :confused:

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by 83monte509@Jan 23 2010, 03:09 PM~16386604
i got the same problem in my monte,been to lazy to go get it checked.is the only way to fix a sticking caliper replacing it?i think my rotor might be warped too cuz it shakes when i brake.bad bearing??? :confused:
If you have a "shimmy/vibration" in the steering wheel, only when braking, then that's warped rotors...have them cut or replace them. Also replace the pads whenever resurfacing rotors or replacing them.

You can rebuild calipers but in my experience, it's much easier and cost effective to just buy new ones, also a good idea to replace both at the same time.

Worth mentioning is an internally collapsed rubber brake hose can cause a caliper to stick as well so for an extra $20-30, it's definatley worth replacing them when doing calipers since the brakes will need to be bled anyways. I've only run across this happening a few times but if you put a new caliper on and it seizes up right away, then get a new hose(s) when you're at the store getting the same caliper again.

·
IGOTABIG
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 87blazer@Jan 23 2010, 08:43 PM~16389031
caliper sticking or a radial pull
radial pull :confused: never heard of that :dunno:
if the caliper is sticking then why does it not pull with the stocks? (215/75/15)

·
818 HOMIE
3,958 Posts
Originally posted by dj kurse 1@Jan 26 2010, 06:34 AM~16414327
radial pull :confused: never heard of that  :dunno:
if the caliper is sticking then why does it not pull with the stocks? (215/75/15)
i got that problem too
and is not the tires

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by dj kurse 1@Jan 26 2010, 07:34 AM~16414327
radial pull :confused: never heard of that  :dunno:
Smaller contact patch of tire to road will multiply the amount of pull as compared to those wide stocks. Without even knowing, i'll bet you're running 175/70 14 175/75 14 or 155/80 13 :cool:

·
IGOTABIG
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE(dj kurse 1 @ Jan 26 2010, 07:34 AM)
radial pull never heard of that

Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Jan 26 2010, 06:22 PM~16419965
Smaller contact patch of tire to road will multiply the amount of pull as compared to those wide stocks.  Without even knowing, i'll bet you're running 175/70 14 175/75 14 or 155/80 13  :cool:
:yes: 175/75/14s remingtons. will take car in to Firestone this weekend...

·
Registered
336 Posts
i had a similar problem pulling to one side when braking. runin' on stocks. turned out that it was a loose bolt on the cross shaft assembly at the upper control arm, i replaced all the bushings and ball joints to the upper control arms....pull went away :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts