LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
its basically a filter with chemicals on it. When the exhaust passes through the filter material (substrate) the unburned gasses and fuel are chemically changed into inert parts. Mostly water and some weird smells. Ive heard everything from perfume to rotten eggs. but thats a short rundown of it. And it only works when its fairly close to the motor and when its in a certain temperature range. Not to mention its very suseptable to other things.

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...I think mine is bad. My car stalls at stop lights some times and when I start it smoke comes out of the exaust. I lost alost of gas milage within the past week or so..

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 9 2003, 04:20 PM
i didnt realize that it affected mileage. Lemme go look in my textbooks again.
cool...thanks for the help

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by concrete+Sep 10 2003, 01:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (concrete @ Sep 10 2003, 01:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Foompla@Sep 9 2003, 04:20 PM
i didnt realize that it affected mileage.  Lemme go look in my textbooks again.
cool...thanks for the help[/b][/quote]
ok homie. lowchero1 hit the nail right on the head of course. I checked it out and it was just like i remembered :). the catalytic converter is just for pure emissions. Its a stainless steel shell fill with either platinum and palladium or platinum and rhodium depending on what its supposed to filter out. For it to work properly it have to get very very hot (1400 degrees). If the engine isnt tuned right and causes excessive heat it can cause the cat to go caput. (expensive). The metal inside works as a catalyst. As the exhaust flows over it, it reacts with it. I duno, voodoo stuff lol. Basically, i dont think this is where your problem lies because its a passive system thats bypassed all the time without any problems. I say just take it out and add a spark plug :-D j/p good luck.

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn....
Man I don't know what the hell is wrong with this damn car...
I took it to a shop and they said that they didn't know what the problem was.
The check engine light is on, but it's a tranny code. It says that the TCC is messing up. I think its sticking and shit. The guys at the shop said that it could be that, and even if it wasn't then they couldn't do anything till I fixed the TCC problem. I think I'm gonna just scrap this ride...Thanks for everyones help though..

Last edited by concrete at Sep 10 2003, 09:51 AM

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 10 2003, 06:21 AM
i dont think this is where your problem lies because its a passive system thats bypassed all the time without any problems. I say just take it out and add a spark plug :-D j/p good luck.
wrong... think about it:

If your engine can't get rid of the byproduct it's just burned up (gas and air mixture), then it's got to push it out, instead of it just flowing out... to push it out (through the blocked up (bad) catalytic converter) affects how the engine runs, and it's very common for engines to stall at stops (when the engine's idling) or to affect low end torque (taking off from a stop). that's why so many race cars and performance cars have performance headers and cut headers coming right out of the engine, so the engine doesn't have to do much work to extract the gases

this happened to me... i tried everything from muffler to air filter... i replaced the cat converter in the end, and everything's good as new. this was a few months ago.

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
to sum it all up........the cat heats up burns up the unburnt shit coming out the engine....thus making the exhaust gasses cleaner......and if your cat plugs up your car will run like shit stall and not work properly......

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth+Sep 10 2003, 11:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stealth @ Sep 10 2003, 11:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Foompla@Sep 10 2003, 06:21 AM
i dont think this is where your problem lies because its a passive system thats bypassed all the time without any problems.  I say just take it out and add a spark plug :-D j/p  good luck.
wrong... think about it:

If your engine can't get rid of the byproduct it's just burned up (gas and air mixture), then it's got to push it out, instead of it just flowing out... to push it out (through the blocked up (bad) catalytic converter) affects how the engine runs, and it's very common for engines to stall at stops (when the engine's idling) or to affect low end torque (taking off from a stop). that's why so many race cars and performance cars have performance headers and cut headers coming right out of the engine, so the engine doesn't have to do much work to extract the gases

this happened to me... i tried everything from muffler to air filter... i replaced the cat converter in the end, and everything's good as new. this was a few months ago.[/b][/quote]
Theres a few flaws in your hypothosis. I agree with you on some points as well tho. Just ignore me. :)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Sep 10 2003, 08:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Sep 10 2003, 08:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2003, 11:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Foompla
@Sep 10 2003, 06:21 AM
i dont think this is where your problem lies because its a passive system thats bypassed all the time without any problems.  I say just take it out and add a spark plug :-D j/p  good luck.

wrong... think about it:

this happened to me... i tried everything from muffler to air filter... i replaced the cat converter in the end, and everything's good as new. this was a few months ago.
Theres a few flaws in your hypothosis. I agree with you on some points as well tho. Just ignore me. :)[/b][/quote]
it doesn't matter what you think... you said

"Basically, i dont think this is where your problem lies because its a passive system thats bypassed all the time without any problems. "...

i say that's 100% false. if your catalytic converter is pluggedup, your car, (as Chris said) will run like shit. the cat converter makes a very, very big difference in how a car's running... believe me or not... but i didn't state a "hypothesis", i stated a fact. so you can choose to believe me or not, but what i said is true, so...

;)

Last edited by Stealth at Sep 11 2003, 02:55 PM

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth+Sep 11 2003, 06:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stealth @ Sep 11 2003, 06:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2003, 08:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Foompla

wrong... think about it:

Theres a few flaws in your hypothosis. I agree with you on some points as well tho. Just ignore me. :)

"Basically, i dont think this is where your problem lies because its a passive system thats bypassed all the time without any problems. "...

i say that's 100% false. if your catalytic converter is pluggedup, your car, (as Chris said) will run like shit. the cat converter makes a very, very big difference in how a car's running... believe me or not... but i didn't state a "hypothesis", i stated a fact. so you can choose to believe me or not, but what i said is true, so...

;)[/b][/quote]
its your hypothesis in what you think is wrong with his car. thanks tho, im here to learn :)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I think the blinker fluid resevoir overflow is plugged up. Take the muffler bearing off 1/4 turn and reinstall it back on 1/5 turn reversed counter clockwise. Then take the car into the shop and have the cat replaced (~$100-150). :) I cant say for sure what it is, so I wont guess. But thats another reason why my car are never older than '73. No california smog shitt and no computer. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Sep 11 2003, 05:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Sep 11 2003, 05:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2003, 08:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Foompla

wrong... think about it:

;)
its your hypothesis in what you think is wrong with his car. thanks tho, im here to learn :)[/b][/quote]
naa, i didn't say that's what i think's wrong with the car... it could be that, and it could be a whole lot of other things.

i was just stating what a cat converter does when it's broken ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts