LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the chain bridge in on my 94 caprice with the 18"ers in the back and it sits way too high dumped. I used 4" channel and welded it as far up on the frame as was possible but it is way high I am running 3 turns of 3 1/2 ton spring on the rear with coil-over setup it is wierd I have never had this problem before any suggestions. should have stuck with the old school big bodies.

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
my first thougt was too much spring, but 3.5 turns aint that much. Have you looked underneath to see if something is binding or catching? Are the cylinder shafts still sticking out when the car is totally dumped?

...oh yea 18" cylinders are pretty damn tall, that might the reason

Last edited by trudawg at Oct 12 2003, 12:12 AM

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked underneath and everything is in place, nothing is binding, and the 18's dumped sit as low as any others it is just the top side you gotta worry about, I bought a new back window last week therefore I put in a bridge but never thought it would sit 6" higher than stock. I guess I will have to use my own brain to figure out this one, maybe cut out the trunk floor move the bridge into the trunk and put extensions to the frame and just remove the back window lol. I dunno gotta figure out something though. preesh.

AND SMALLER CYLINDERS ARE NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ProHopper at Oct 12 2003, 12:19 AM

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
believe me when I say this 14's aint got chit on my 18's but that is not the question at hand. its cool though if youre ever in PC and need a place to park you can pull it under my car.j/p ;) it has been done with a geo prizm 1/3 of the hood under the beast.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The reason why it sits higher is because your original perches were higher than the bridge. The bridge can only go as high as the center of your cars body allows. You can either cut your trunk body out to make the bridge go up higher or cut out the section of where your springs go and and weld a perch on top of your bridge so your springs can go up higher.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
With a chain bridge the cylinder length wont affect how low the car sits when dumped, unless the body of the car is dropping on the tops of the cylinders when its dumped, which isnt likely. Are the springs in the rear brand new? If so give em some time, they will break in and the car will drop a bit more. If they arent new, only solution is to take out some rear spring. Just keep an eye on the top of those 18''s for clearance, since the more spring you take out the farther up into the car those cylinders will protrude.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah caddy bob I was thinking the same thing, and the reason for the bridge is because last week the donut plate spring and everything ripped through the trunk sheetmetal and the reinforced pieces that were there and shot through the back window, not a good day, was lucky to find a used one for 80 bucks though, so therefore was forced to bridge it, and the springs are the ones I have had so no luck on breaking them in anymore lol, I was under it earlier today and could see no more room to move it upward without cutting the trunk out wich I had rather not do, I dont have to have it dragging the ground but deffinately lower than it is now. Thanx for the input guys.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The upper trailing arms are most likely hitting the bridge when the car is laid.The bridge needs to be in the trunk.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i'm not much on cutty's or lacs or anything, mostly trucks,....but i had to remove my c-channel tonight and weld on 5 inch stilts to the bottom, which will be welded to the frame tomorrow so that the truck would bottom out on the frame, to sit low,...trust me,you can't live with it high, it is was lower at one time, being higher will get on your nerves so bad in no time,... you gotta do what it takes, it's only sweat, blood and a little sheet metal

·
Registered
310 Posts
oh yeah....you could actually do the trick where you just notch out for the springs, would a be alittle harder, but look better and save much of your sheet metal,...just go buy a length of water pipe, big enough to go around your cylinders, then weld a donut to the top of them, trim it down or fill it in and grind it down to make it look good,....it's welded right, and pentrates the c-channel (it should be glowing red hot on the opposite side you are welding on then leave burn scars on the opposite side too....then you know it will hold
unless of course it is hitting the trailing arms, then i would just notch the bridge for the trialing arms and reinforce it with triangles some how, triangles are the strongest shape

1 - 17 of 17 Posts