LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the midst of installing a 4 pump reds setup on my blazer, i'm using a 6" piece of c-channel for the rear crossmember. I'm running a coil over setup in the back with 2 1/2 ton coils. I'm somewhat lost of the whole chain bridging thing. i somewhat understand how it works, but not entirly.
where should a place my chains? holong should be chains be? how far should i limit my travel?? my cylinders are about 5-6 inchs from the inside of the framerails, but i'm lost on where the best place to bridge it is. I'm also running 8's in the front and 10's in the back. My front setup is going to be a coil over if that matters.
PLEASE HELP!!! EX-BAGGER WANTS JUICE LIKE THE BIG BOYS!!

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
no one answered this yet but i'll try my best
from what i know u want your chains to be as close to the pumpkin as possible.. so one on either side would be the place i'm sure.. as far as length.. i think they should be an inch or so shorter than your full lift height... but i could be real wrong on that..
hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help u more.
layta

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is your blazer a 2wd or 4x4... mines a 4x4 but Radcaddy is gonna be redoing the back with 14s and a coil over and chainbridge and the whole rear reinforced, I was supposed to have it done last week but i couldnt because of the hurricane so this week hes probally going to do it, im going to ask him if he can take alot of pics so if i can get them i will post them up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet juiced92,...keep me posed mine is torn aprt right now and i'm doing everything to back, i'mout to start again in about 20 minutes....sendme some pics of the front so i can see exactly how you did yours, i want to compare it to mine to see what actually works and what i think will work! =)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Originally posted by socapots@Sep 20 2003, 09:43 AM
no one answered this yet but i'll try my best
from what i know u want your chains to be as close to the pumpkin as possible.. so one on either side would be the place i'm sure.. as far as length.. i think they should be an inch or so shorter than your full lift height... but i could be real wrong on that..
hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help u more.
layta
SOCA lives!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that really you Soca? I havn't seen you in forever dawg!
What you been up to? :biggrin:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone know how i measure out how long my chain should be, i know it must be shorter then my cylinders, but with the chains sitting at an angle, normal measurements will be off. like 7 inch chain may only yield 6-6 1/2 inchs of movement,...or will that work out ok?

A FAT STANDING 3 WHEEL IS MY #1 PRIORITY...to hell with ride, lift, motions, all that,...the higher the 3 wheel the better!

Also! Anyone know what grade chain i should buy, i have no idea how it's rated, so just treat me like an idiot on the subject, any help will greatly appricated!!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
just bridged my cut. when you go to the hardware store go to the section where chains are. you want to get 2650 lb. strength chain, its nice and thick.. you could go with a heavier duty chain but this is perfect for bridging. when installing your c- channel you want to mount your upper chain mounts ten inches from eachother. so basically find the middle of your c-chann. and measure toward the cylinders 5 inches both ways.mount your chain mounts..(2x2 square box) then you want to mount your lower chain mounts as close to the pumpkin as possible. you should have leaf springs so there should me no prob. :cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
i just bridged my Gp today, but i only had 3 pcs of already cut up box, bridged the rear right at the edge of the pumpkin before it meets the axle, and put the chain upper end at the center, triangle looking setup.

it is secured to 2x2 box goin across the frame above the axle. does OK, maybe 10" standing but it will come up to where it always did when i drive it. is the top placement dead wrong?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
One more thing that need to be added, that i see a LOT of people not do, is reinforce. You will want to reinforce you axle. Standing with chains put a lot of stress on your axle. Better to get it out of the way while the trucks apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts