LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mechanically inclined a bit and willing to learn how to do things myself. I just want to know on a scale from 1-10 how difficult was it for anyone who has done it. 10 being hard as fuk!

Sidenote: I want to do more than change my damn gasket(IE Cam, lifters, headers) but dont have the funds for the moment (got the headers though) and feel its a waste of my damn time changing the gasket for the heads and I cant do shit else and then turn around and break it all down again.........................But damn I'm ready to ride lol

·
Registered
12,557 Posts
TO ME it was a 6 for the first time.You just need to know the specs,on how totighing down,and make sure you new heads work with the old push rods?Might be best to put new push rods in too.''I did''

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Not as bad if the engine is out of the car
x2. still very possible in the car. The only thing thats tough is if you want to replace the cam you will need to have the radiator and a/c condenser out in front of the motor. Theres a chiltons or haynes book you can get that its for the 70s/80s chevy pickups and it tells you step by step how to fully rebuild a small block chevy engine. Tells specs and step by step. Thats how I did my first build and every other time I have to use that book for the torque specs. Not gonna lie its a major job but it doesnt get any easier then working on a small block chevy and if you run into problems you will find someone to help very easy.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
You also have to take the motor mounts loose,jack the engine up and take the oil pan off to get the timing cover off.if you gonna change all that,I would pull the engine out and do it on a stand and clean it up and paint it nice and purrdy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the thing to I'm not going to be able to take the engine out though if I had space,garage, and some other things I would definitely do that. But looks like I'll have to do it while its in the car

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for those that only changed the head gaskets do you really need to put the engine at top dead center just to change the head gaskets to tighten all push rods. basically trying to get away from messing with the push rods. or is it unavoidable

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
top dead center wont help you with anything but putting the distributor back in. I would think MAYBE you could not undo any rocker arms and just take the heads off and when you put them back on they will be pushing on the pushrods the same but dont quote me on that Ive never tried it and Im not an expert engine builder. Tightening rocker arms isnt so bad. You just have the valve covers off with the engine running and tighten them slowly until they stop clicking or with the engine off slowly turn the engine and feel each arm til theres no up and down play left in them.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
You can't get the head bolt out if you don't take the rockers off
I think I have actually got all the bolts out before on a engine with just regular rockers not rollers. I know the ones between the rockers was a really tight fit but I mustve used an extention or something to do it. It was a quick tear down and i dont remember taking off or loosening rockers. :dunno: anyway I know its not recommended to do it that way. That motor the heads warped real bad and we didnt plan on putting that head back on anyway we just tore it down real quick.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I think I have actually got all the bolts out before on a engine with just regular rockers not rollers. I know the ones between the rockers was a really tight fit but I mustve used an extention or something to do it. It was a quick tear down and i dont remember taking off or loosening rockers. :dunno: anyway I know its not recommended to do it that way. That motor the heads warped real bad and we didnt plan on putting that head back on anyway we just tore it down real quick.
Ya if you loosen them you can get the bolts off

·
LAKELAND FLA
8,064 Posts
ITS A 1,,,TAKE CARB ND INTAKE OFF ,DISTUBURTOR,EXHAUST,,PUSH RODS, LIFTERS AND ROCKER ARMS,HEADS,CLEAN SURFACE REAL GOOD,CHECK HEADS FOR CRACKS,THEN PUT BACK ON,,THERS 3 DIFERNT SIZE BOLTS IN LENGHT,SMALL,MEDIUM,LONG,,,MAKE SURE U PUT DEM BACK IN DA RITE SPOT,,,TIGHTEN THEM DOWN FLUSH,,THEN GRAB DA TORQUE WRENCH AND SET IT TO 40LBS,,GO AROUND AND DO THEM ALL EVENLY,,GO STRAIGHT ACROSS NT SIDE BY SIDE,,ONCE ALL DONE GO BACK AGAIN AND SET IT AT 75LBS AND DO IT DA SAME WAY;)THEN PUT IT ALL TOGETHER,,,MAKE SURE U PUT DA DISTURBUTOR WITH DA ROTOR BUTTON FACING DA SAME WAY IT CAME OUT,SO CHECK IT BE4 U PULL IT OUT,,WEN U PUT DA ROCKER ARMS BACK ON,TIGHTEN THEM FLUSH,NOT SO TIGHT,DEN START DA CAR ONCE PUT BACK TOGETHER WITH VALVE COVERS OFF AND LISTEN TO DA ROCKER ARMS AND ADJUST DEM SO THEY WONT TAP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts