LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright to change my oil what do i do

get underneath the car unscrew the drain plug let the oil drain and then that filer does it just unscrew?

then screw in new oil filter and put the drain plug back in
and then add 5 lilters of oil?

Its a olds 307 in a 87 caddy rwd...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
find out how many quarts your engine holds..

goto autozone and find out what size filter and how many quarts if your still clueless.. grab an oil pan container while your there, if you got the extra money...

jack up car, scoot oil container under oil pan, take out oil plug and let drain into container, lower car so the oil will drain better.

let sit and drain for a while
once it looks like the oil has stopped dripping and draining, screw the plug back in nice and tight.

scoot container under the oil filter
unscrew the oil filter and let drain into container, dispose of filter properly.

once its done draining, use a clean rag to clean around the filter hole, also clean the oil hole on the oil pan, i forgot to say that

once done draining, fill your new filter up with new oil, and spread a lil oil on the filter rubber gasket on top so it'll tighten better.

screw the new filter into the filter hole.
tighten appropriately.

open oil cover on the head gasket and pour in your oil...
checking on the dipstick after each quart is poured in to make sure you dont underfill or overfill..

you must be new to cars completely if you dont know how to change the oil... Changing the oil is simple and cheap as opposed to taking it to a dealer or shop and getting it done. changing the spark plugs is a good idea as well during an oil change.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
how much is it for quart of oil??, i take my cars to the chevy dealer.....its only $23, i get a gm part, good service, they top my fluids....check other lil shit for free sometimes, wash my car.....AND i get deals in the mail for like vehicle inspection for $12.95...when its really more....plus they dispose of the oil, filter and i dont get dirty...so for the extra few bucks...thats why i do it.

but its easy

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Originally posted by 67impala@Aug 3 2003, 12:13 PM
well i got a 15l drop tray for changing oil i flushed my rad yesterday and now im thinkin of changin my oil...
yea, if you can flush your radiator you should have no problem with an oil change.....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
JUS MAKE SURE YOU USE JACKSTANDS, i cant stress that enough, oh n b4 puttn the new filter n dab the new filter seal(the rubber ring in it) wit oil, n make sure u tighten the drain plug as tight as you can wit only your index n yer middle finger so you dont under tighten it, oh n always shake the car after removin the jack n puttn it on stands to make sure its sturdy shack the hell outta it, the jack n stands should always be on the frame. its always good to do your own shit, oh n get Valvoline highmilage oil 20w50(summer) 10w40(winter) it werks REALLY good on REALLY old motors.

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Aug 3 2003, 11:37 AM~943569

goto autozone and find out what size filter and how many quarts if your still clueless..  grab an oil pan container while your there, if you got the extra money...

jack up car, scoot oil container under oil pan, take out oil plug and let drain into container, lower car so the oil will drain better.

once it looks like the oil has stopped dripping and draining, screw the plug back in nice and tight.

unscrew the oil filter and let drain into container, dispose of filter properly.

once its done draining, use a clean rag to clean around the filter hole, also clean the oil hole on the oil pan, i forgot to say that

once done draining, fill your new filter up with new oil, and spread a lil oil on the filter rubber gasket on top so it'll tighten better.

tighten appropriately.

checking on the dipstick after each quart is poured in to make sure you dont underfill or overfill..
you must be new to cars completely if you dont know how to change the oil...  Changing the oil is simple and cheap as opposed to taking it to a dealer or shop and getting it done.  changing the spark plugs is a good idea as well during an oil change.

man I cant believe you typed that.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Aug 3 2003, 09:37 AM~943569

goto autozone and find out what size filter and how many quarts if your still clueless..  grab an oil pan container while your there, if you got the extra money...

tighten appropriately.

you must be new to cars completely if you dont know how to change the oil...  Changing the oil is simple and cheap as opposed to taking it to a dealer or shop and getting it done.  changing the spark plugs is a good idea as well during an oil change.
:0

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
don't forget to add the metal shavings to the oil filter before you put it back on. C'mon homie you don't know how to change oil bbbblllllaaaahhhh

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by fleetwood mack@Oct 19 2006, 08:54 PM~6403500
don't forget to add the metal shavings to the oil filter before you put it back on. C'mon homie you don't know how to change oil  bbbblllllaaaahhhh
:uh:

metal shavings? :uh:

my haynes book says to add multicolored washers

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by fleetwood mack@Oct 19 2006, 09:54 PM~6403500
don't forget to add the metal shavings to the oil filter before you put it back on. C'mon homie you don't know how to change oil  bbbblllllaaaahhhh
gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by Jason2153@Oct 19 2006, 12:00 AM~6397941
lol

and how many quarts does a 350 hold?
V8s take 8 quarts according to someone that posted in this thread :0

Just playin man, don't get all mad about it :biggrin:

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Originally posted by Joe6pt0@Oct 20 2006, 09:18 PM~6411854
V8s take 8 quarts according to someone that posted in this thread :0
Just playin man, don't get all mad about it  :biggrin:

:0 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Does anyone here actually do an engine flush? I do it to my Monte
once a year. That and drop the oil pan, and clean it out along with
the oil screen inside. Oil flush only cost $3 and the oil pan gasket is
$5 so to make sure my ride rolls smooth, I make sure to do this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts