LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my 63 to change the uppers for some molded and extended ones... :biggrin:

Didn't have problems on the passenger side, but the driver's side is another story, unbolted the 2 bolts inside the engine compartment to the rod that's holding the upper in place... but the rod is hitting the steering rod...

What's the easiest was to get the steering rod out of the way? will I have to unbolt all the steering column?

Thanks for your help, I've been searching for a thread on changing uppers... but can't find one...

Thanks!

·
The Garbageman
2,587 Posts
i had to separate the steering linkage. not that big of a deal dude. and it don't take that long. just watch out for the header

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the easiest way is to take it apart close to the steering box... or I should unbolt it near the firewall... and then, get inside the car to unbolt the steering colum to pull it from the steering rod?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about the torq bolt between the steering box and the rubber cushion?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 81.7.TX.@Feb 14 2010, 11:13 PM~16615077
those bolts come out!

Are you talking about the bolts that hold the A-arm in place? that go through the frame?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a pic of one of the two bolts that attach the a-arm to the frame, are you talking about these bolts?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by lone star@Feb 15 2010, 06:26 AM~16616344
yes u can bang them out .....

Ok... just have to figure a way of banging them from between the engine and the bolts... any tricks?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks guys, I'll give it a try... :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Originally posted by Huggies@Feb 15 2010, 11:30 AM~16617601
Ok thanks guys, I'll give it a try...  :biggrin:

honstly, I will tell you, it sucks on some cars/engines

get an impact on the bolt and run it in reverse, while pushing on the other side with something, see if you can get it backing out

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm putting some WD40 on these bolts every day until the week end... then I'll give it a try...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts