LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Brougham
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
charge the battery up and it last for a few hours driving and then it dies. had the alt& batt tested at a store,and tested fine. what eles should i check? i fuckin hate wireing problems :angry: also everything was
workin fine till after i changed out the starter.

·
16,068 Posts
Take a volt meter and check what the battery reads(should be about 12.5V if the battery is good), then start the car and let it run with the heater/lights/radio/etc all off and battery should read about 14.5V. If it still reads 12V, check wiring to the alternator and if it's all good, take it off and take it to autozone for them to test(probably bad and needs a rebuild). How did you test the battery, load test?

·
16,068 Posts
Did you check to see if the alternator is charging the battery to 14.5V while installed in the car though? Wires to the alternator all intact? If the battery and alternator test good on a bench test but is not charging while in the car, i'd bet on it being a loose/disconnected wire off the alternator.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
There has to be a complete circuit between the battery, starter, and alt. If the alt only has a power cable going to the fuse box then it needs one to the starter too to match up with the wires coming from the fuse box to power the car. Mainly the batt should be hard wired to the starter and the starter should be hardwired to the alt, if they are not youre losing your connection somewhere in the fuse box.

Make sure your connections are tight on the starter. Make sure the batt is grounded to the engine and body. Make sure the engine is grounded to the body good(usually a flex cable comes off the back of the engine to the firewall) otherwise the alt will be working but cant transfer the power cuz the engine isnt grounded to the body. Underdrive pulleys will make it so your alt doesnt charge correctly. Shops can do a quick amperage test on your car while its running to see whats going on also.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Dec 3 2008, 05:32 PM~12326432
could be ur belts too
:thumbsup: they could slip more when its cold hot or when the alt is under load

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Originally posted by caddy4yaass@Dec 3 2008, 07:19 PM~12328849
i did find that the ground for the engine( the little strap that's on the back of the motor) wasn't hooked up, haven't hooked it back up yet  didn't have time. thx for all the reply's! :cool:
were was this at cause im having the same trouble you are and thats all i could think it is
were is the ground for the engine at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts