LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....does anyone make precut chassis wrapping kits, or templates for laying onto sheet steel.

It may sound lazy, but its so mauch hassle for me, without a proper lockup, to be able to cut and plate a chassis. Would be much easier to be able to get a precut kit, offer up to the frame, and weld away!

Before you all ask, I'm in UK, and we dont have lowrider shops that you can just drive your ride in for a chassis wrap!

Any help would be great!

PS: I have a '79 Cutty Supreme, just for reference!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup.....

BTW, just been looking at your seat buildup pics, very cool!

·
Super Triple Double OG OG
22,641 Posts
nice looking car man.. do it up good!

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's actually a good idea. Maybe next year I'll start making them I bet they will sell. :0

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
what bits are you gunna reinforce the whole frame or just the bits you can see ,ive got 2 frames here 1 already wraped and 1 not if you want i can make you up some templates so you can get the steel cut ,let me know wot ya need n il sort ya out

anyway i thought you was goin to china

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
i actualy thought of making templates whilst i had the frame in bitts as its the 1st body off full wrap in the uk (to my knowledge anyway) thought it would be cool to produce a set that i could share around the club either that or send em away n get sum steel lazer cut n sell it on

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by [email protected]@Nov 23 2003, 03:58 PM
red bumpers????????????
Car was bought like this, previous owner has it bare metal resprayed, but the chrome was shot. Chroming is pretty pricy in the UK for a good finish!

I WILL get 'em rechromed tho!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by air280+Nov 23 2003, 08:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (air280 @ Nov 23 2003, 08:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--CrystalCutlass@Nov 23 2003, 09:27 PM

Before you all ask, I'm in UK, and we dont have lowrider shops that you can just drive your ride in for a chassis wrap!

.......I can think of two ;)[/b][/quote]
Yeah, I know, but your all booked up well in advance, and I'm off to live in China next year, so its a case of being home short notice and doing what I can in the time I'm back!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by stevie d@Nov 23 2003, 02:01 PM
what bits are you gunna reinforce the whole frame or just the bits you can see ,ive got 2 frames here 1 already wraped and 1 not if you want i can make you up some templates so you can get the steel cut ,let me know wot ya need n il sort ya out

anyway i thought you was goin to china
Full frame wrap, me thinks!

Yeah, I know I'm off to China, but I still wanna do the Cutty, so I'll be doing little bits everytime I'm back, and farming some work out!

Hence the reason for the wrap 'kit' idea, trying to save some time!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by carvr2@Nov 23 2003, 08:17 AM
That's actually a good idea. Maybe next year I'll start making them I bet they will sell. :0
Typical, I knew folks would say, 'what a great idea!', maybe I should have Patented the idea and set up business, then I wouldn't have to go to bloody China!!!!

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
ive got a frame here if you want me to wrap it ,or partialy wrap it then all ya gotta do is swap the body ,i guess ya gotta decide what ya wanna do with it as to how much reinforcement you will need or i could just give ya sum patterns for the steel

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I actually e-mailed this question to the "Hydraulic Hotline" of Lowrider Magazine about six months ago and never got an answer back. I definatley think it is a money making idea to all the "DIY" guys out there trying to wrap their own frames.

Good question!!

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
i think the "bending the steel" part is harder than cutting it out, that would be the hard part if you made a kit.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Patterns are real easy as long as you have a plasma cutter and you make your templates exact! Like CP said though the bending part is the sucky part! It would be a lot of work to have these kits for all different cars!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts