LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend told me you could buy a tint to mix it with clear what is this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by chicagosteve@Nov 11 2003, 04:22 PM
hok candy concentrate.mix with clear and apply over base coat.doesn't give true candy depth but does give better clor tone!!!! :biggrin:
sorry bro i disagree----------all "candy" is.......is tinted clear!!! so a concentrate is the same thing..the difference is that if you buy a ready made gallon of hok for example it is mixed to the exact color that you will see in their color chart as long as you use the same base----w/ the concentrates you can mix it to the "tone" that you desire or mix different colors to make your own------------a "cheater" candy as i would explain in would be the use of a solid color base like red for example---and then coming back and shooting a few coats of brandywine or wild cherry and then clearing it-----that is a "cheater" candy to me------original--"tradition" candies are sprayed over a silver or gold base only!!!!!!!!!! i make my own candies using special tints and colors and once in a while i will use some hok concentrate or intensifier-----here you go all done w/ special mixed candies and some hok concentrate...........



"richee"



Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 12 2003, 08:36 AM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
sweet..
but how long did that take..

prep..
base..
clears..
final wet flatting..

Nice paint............
:biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by jjj@Nov 12 2003, 09:56 AM
sweet..
but how long did that take..

prep..
base..
clears..
final wet flatting..

Nice paint............
:biggrin:
lots of weekends and after work nights bro......... :biggrin:
o by the way---------it's a full flaked silver base---you can't tell by the pictures



Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 12 2003, 10:21 AM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what would happen if you spray the base, clear it then candy over it ..a deeper look :confused:



Last edited by Supernaut at Nov 12 2003, 01:00 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by Supernaut@Nov 12 2003, 10:28 AM
what would happen if you spray the base, clear it then candy over it ..a deeper look :confused:
nope---you just will protect the base if you happen mess up the candy when you apply it and have to wet sand it off--------but if you know what you are doing sometimes it is just wasted material------now if you are talking about patterning out a car or flaking a car then yes you have to clear the base or flaked base so you can wet sand in between steps---but it will not provide a deeper look----it is clear bro----nothing more---peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
realy interesting....ok.

if i was to do a base coat (dark gold) and then..do a clear w flake's (gold flakes) in it over that...after that...put a tinted clear(candy) over all that...

do i have to sand my flake/clear befor the candy...

and if i do paterns in it...should i lay paterns...unmask...wet sand every thing up...lay the full candy over...

and candy add them self up like layers...more layer are on each other the more dark the candy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by dabomb@Nov 12 2003, 01:25 PM
realy interesting....ok.

if i was to do a base coat (dark gold) and then..do a clear w flake's (gold flakes) in it over that...after that...put a tinted clear(candy) over all that...

do i have to sand my flake/clear befor the candy...

and if i do paterns in it...should i lay paterns...unmask...wet sand every thing up...lay the full candy over...

and candy add them self up like layers...more layer are on each other the more dark the candy...
lets see------first yes you have to wet sand your clear that you have over your flaked base to get the flakes smooth and give bite to your candy. as far as your patterns go it all depends on what kind of patterns you are talking about------if you are talking "ghost patterns" you can do them a few ways---you can lay them out first and then candy over them--then clear and wet sand and buff----that will give you a darker ghost pattern----keep in mind that the more candy you have the darker the color will be---so if you have really dark ghost patterns then you will end up w/ dark candy patterns---if you want them lighter then you have to use a color lighter then your original base.........the other way is to do your base/ flake etc and then add the patterns after you have cleared your candy-----now if you are taking multi-colored patterns like in the case of my lincoln then you are talking a whole other ball game-----you have to do all the colors and patterns and let dry in between so you can tape over them and over-lap and then put on you main color.....but all the patterns have to be masked off etc--so alot more work is involved--------peace



Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 12 2003, 01:36 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,990 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 12 2003, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 12 2003, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--jjj@Nov 12 2003, 09:56 AM
sweet..
but how long did that take..

prep..
base..
clears..
final wet flatting..

Nice paint............
:biggrin:
lots of weekends and after work nights bro......... :biggrin:
o by the way---------it's a full flaked silver base---you can't tell by the pictures[/b][/quote]
I wish you lived near me so I could get you to paint my car :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by badcaddy+Nov 12 2003, 01:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badcaddy @ Nov 12 2003, 01:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 11:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--jjj
@Nov 12 2003, 09:56 AM
sweet..
but how long did that take..

prep..
base..
clears..
final wet flatting..

Nice paint............
:biggrin:

lots of weekends and after work nights bro......... :biggrin:
o by the way---------it's a full flaked silver base---you can't tell by the pictures
I wish you lived near me so I could get you to paint my car :)[/b][/quote]
why bro----you think i know what i am doing----- :biggrin:



Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 12 2003, 01:49 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 01:51 PM
my question for ya?

how do you spray the door jams in candy and not get it on the body of the car ,
i know i could tape off the body but wont that leave a tape line?
the way that i was taught and that i do it is by doing the jams last----you can do the base on the car and flakes etc and then fill in all the jams-under the trunk, hood etc---keep in mind that as long as you have clear over your flake , candy etc..you can wet sand off any over spray---so basically to do jams as long as you have already cleared the outside of the car you will essentially wet sand off any over spray that you will get on the car before you buff it out------if you want you can mask off about 2 feet on either side of the door and quarter panel no minimize over spray-as far as the tape line ---yes you will have one but if you tape where you already have some clear it will get wetsanded off---peace



Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 12 2003, 02:16 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,998 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 12 2003, 02:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 12 2003, 02:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 01:51 PM
my question for ya?

how do you spray the door jams in candy and not get it on the body of the car ,
i know i could tape off the body but wont that leave a tape line?
the way that i was taught and that i do it is by doing the jams last----you can do the base on the car and flakes etc and then fill in all the jams-under the trunk, hood etc---keep in mind that as long as you have clear over your flake , candy etc..you can wet sand off any over spray---so basically to do jams as long as you have already cleared the outside of the car you will essentially wet sand off any over spray that you will get on the car before you buff it out------if you want you can mask off about 2 feet on either side of the door and quarter panel no minimize over spray----peace[/b][/quote]
that makes purfect sence, i can just wet sand anyover spray off and polish it...


thanks lowriderlife :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by milkweed+Nov 12 2003, 02:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milkweed @ Nov 12 2003, 02:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 02:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--milkweed
@Nov 12 2003, 01:51 PM
my question for ya?

how do you spray the door jams in candy and not get it on the body of the car ,
i know i could tape off the body but wont that leave a tape line?

the way that i was taught and that i do it is by doing the jams last----you can do the base on the car and flakes etc and then fill in all the jams-under the trunk, hood etc---keep in mind that as long as you have clear over your flake , candy etc..you can wet sand off any over spray---so basically to do jams as long as you have already cleared the outside of the car you will essentially wet sand off any over spray that you will get on the car before you buff it out------if you want you can mask off about 2 feet on either side of the door and quarter panel no minimize over spray----peace
that makes purfect sence, i can just wet sand anyover spray off and polish it...


thanks lowriderlife :cool:[/b][/quote]
you got it bro----------- :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,990 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 12 2003, 02:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 12 2003, 02:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 11:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--jjj
@Nov 12 2003, 09:56 AM
sweet..
but how long did that take..

prep..
base..
clears..
final wet flatting..

Nice paint............
:biggrin:

lots of weekends and after work nights bro......... :biggrin:
o by the way---------it's a full flaked silver base---you can't tell by the pictures

I wish you lived near me so I could get you to paint my car :)
why bro----you think i know what i am doing----- :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
lol only every question I asked you answred.. your car is the shit.. and you help everyones with paint question

hell yea I want you to paint my car :thumbsup: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by badcaddy+Nov 13 2003, 12:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badcaddy @ Nov 13 2003, 12:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 11:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--jjj
@Nov 12 2003, 09:56 AM
sweet..
but how long did that take..

prep..
base..
clears..
final wet flatting..

Nice paint............
:biggrin:

lots of weekends and after work nights bro......... :biggrin:
o by the way---------it's a full flaked silver base---you can't tell by the pictures

I wish you lived near me so I could get you to paint my car :)

why bro----you think i know what i am doing----- :biggrin:
lol only every question I asked you answred.. your car is the shit.. and you help everyones with paint question

hell yea I want you to paint my car :thumbsup: :cool:[/b][/quote]
thanx for the props bro---just trying to be a true lowrider and help out my fellow brothers-----------if i was closer to you bro you would not have to ask twice about your car----peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
The real difference with koncitrate is it is made to do the underside of the hood truck door jambs etc so it doesn't have the uv protection therefor it fades very fast is it is exsposed to the sun on a daily basis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by timetaker@Nov 16 2003, 08:23 PM
The real difference with koncitrate is it is made to do the underside of the hood truck door jambs etc so it doesn't have the uv protection therefor it fades very fast is it is exsposed to the sun on a daily basis.
bro you are correct about people using them for under the hood or trunk and door jams etc.....but not because it does not have the same uv resistence as regular ready mixed candy in a gallon----people use it to match those areas easier and that way they use less coats to achieve the same color---but you can use it however you like----lots of people use them for motorcycle tanks and frames etc since they need much less paint then when you do a car----people also use them alot when you do patterns---like i showed above----some hok was used on my car--------peace

"richee"



Last edited by lowriderlife at Nov 17 2003, 04:04 PM
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top