LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an 87 monthe carlo ls that came with a 305 with the 4 barrel quadrajet and i'm lookin into an engine swap. the question is what are my options. i'm wanting to pull an engine from a junkyard cause it'll be cheaper and i wanna rebuild it with performance products anyways. i've heard of the traditional 350 but i also heard of a 400 that came in some of the older cars. so what kinda motors do i have choices of and what cars or trucks can i get tham out of?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
anycar that was equipped from the factory with a 400 is a good choice to start looking.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
anyway..
1970-1976 Chevy's came with them

trucks, montes, caprices, chevelles, etc..

·
Registered
343 Posts
make sure you get all the brackets and pulleys etc with the engine you plan on putting in, i would suggest buying a wreck with the engine you desire and using it as a donor car

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks for the heads up. is there anyway i can distinguish the motor from a 305 or 350? i heard the 400's have a notch missing outta the crank pully or something.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
my way would be to go off of the suffix code on the engine..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where is the "suffix" code and where is it located? on the block? and what numbers or code am i looking for to identify a 400?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My monte has a 305 also it has plenty of power. I hope you got rid of that crap factory carb. I put a new carb on mine and true dual flowmaster and my horsepower went up alot. Theres alot more i could do to increase more, intake, header, cam. 305 is a good motor and its cheap to build.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Originally posted by 1lownissan@Nov 28 2003, 10:54 AM
where is the "suffix" code and where is it located? on the block? and what numbers or code am i looking for to identify a 400?
look in front of the passenger side head
theres a code there consisting of
some letters and numbers...

your concern is the last set of letters..

write them down, then go to

www.nastyz28.com
or
www.mortec.com

and decode the numbers

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx bigdan.

and fleetwood mac. the 305's are a joke to v8's. 180hp from a v8 is sad. my eagle talon had 210 stock out of a turbo'ed inline 4. i had that thing easily to 300hp with minor bolt-on's which i will never see outta this 305 without slapping thousands onto it when i coulda just got a bigger motor and rebuild that for even more power. much over 300 which i will need in this 4,000 pound brick. ;)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
305's arent that bad nissan. I had an 89 maro that was equipped with one and it was very very nice, stock even. It was throttle body injected and had a posi. Burn out for days and would smoke cars on the street. Some people dont realize what they got, or can have I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts