LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would it involve to put airbags on a 4x4 truck i know it can be done and i know where they sell the kits.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by northwestG@Nov 17 2003, 12:44 AM
what would it involve to put airbags on a 4x4 truck i know it can be done and i know where they sell the kits.
It depends on the type of suspension, but assuming coils all round (which I'm not sure if that is the case with 4x4s), you will need special mountings for the air springs, these will need to be welded in or bolted in depending on the vehicle. Front shock absorbers will probably need to be moved, this will probably involve some welding, plus some different shocks. Then the wiring, switches, gauges, air compressor and air tank will need installing.

Just a general idea for you :) .

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 17 2003, 07:23 PM

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply i have a torsion bar system i talked to a place called the hack shack they have bag kits for all wheel drive vehicles like escalades and 4x4 trucks they said i would have to make some kind of bracket to hold the bag. what kind of suspension changes would i have to make to make this work.
would i need new control arms to lower it? would i need the leaf springs in the back? i have it lowered with shackels and a torsion bar key. any info helps.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I know of someone who has hydraulics on a 1968 Plymouth which has torsion bar suspension. He still has the torsion bars in there but they are 'wound off' or 'wound down', which I think means that they have been released at one end so that they aren't acting as torsion bars, but are still acting as a locator for the suspension.

I'm not familiar with your set-up, so I can't really say what changes you will need to make, but really, the supplier of the parts should know exactly what to do. If they aren't able to advise you or make the brackets for you, then I think you should shop around until you find someone who gives a quality service, because if you end up with a pile of parts and no after-sales back-up, it could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare for you.

I'm in the UK, so I can't recommend anyone, but I like looking at the work done by www.deviouscustoms.com and they do a lot of air suspension work on trucks, so maybe they could help.

I'm sure some others in your country could make some recommendations.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts