LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 90 Dodge Dakota with an ugly ass camper shell on the back of it. Him and I decided it needed to be cleaned up so we come up with this plan:

Chop the mounts so it sits a little lower (completely level with the top of the truck rather then above it by an inch or so) . Ripping out all the glass and windows and grinding/fiberglassing the entire thing so it's all smooth like the metal on his truck is. Then cutting out a small design in the rear top corner (same logo both sides) logo has yet to be determined. Our goal for this is to basicly just make the entire truck look realy smooth and streamline and make the camper shell look a whole hell of a lot better then it does now. A few questions I Have are (does this sound feesable?) and what would be the best idea for the very rear of it with the big window that folds up? Should we just mold over that and poof no more window? or... It's a big project to tackle and we don't want to fuck it up to badly our first attempt. We still want to be able to remove the whole thing but make it look realy good on his truck. Sporting a custom unique look for our CC. PLEASE throw some ideas at me. I've never done this before and it's realy important we don't destroy to much shit our first attempt.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by liquid@Oct 28 2003, 08:25 AM
My buddy has a 90 Dodge Dakota with an ugly ass camper shell on the back of it. Him and I decided it needed to be cleaned up so we come up with this plan:

Chop the mounts so it sits a little lower (completely level with the top of the truck rather then above it by an inch or so) . Ripping out all the glass and windows and grinding/fiberglassing the entire thing so it's all smooth like the metal on his truck is. Then cutting out a small design in the rear top corner (same logo both sides) logo has yet to be determined. Our goal for this is to basicly just make the entire truck look realy smooth and streamline and make the camper shell look a whole hell of a lot better then it does now. A few questions I Have are (does this sound feesable?) and what would be the best idea for the very rear of it with the big window that folds up? Should we just mold over that and poof no more window? or... It's a big project to tackle and we don't want to fuck it up to badly our first attempt. We still want to be able to remove the whole thing but make it look realy good on his truck. Sporting a custom unique look for our CC. PLEASE throw some ideas at me. I've never done this before and it's realy important we don't destroy to much shit our first attempt.
HOW ABOUT JUST SELLING THE CAMPER AND BUYING A "SUPER SHELL" THEY SIT FLUSH W/ THE ROOF LINE OF MOST TRUCKS----THIS SOUNDS LIKE TOO MUCH WORK TO DO ON A SHELL-------- :biggrin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. I'll look that up. I don't ever remember seeing a 'super shell'. but I also am not a big fan of trucks myself. thanks. but we'll still have to mod the shit out of it = )

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I quick searched around the net. None of these things give very good pictures of them on trucks. Do they match the exact countour of the vehicle? We want it to look like it's almost a 'part' of the truck following the countour exacly. with no windows except the one we cut out.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
How about just molding the shell to the truck? I've seen that done before. There would be a good possibility of cracks though if the truck is driven alot. And, in my opinion, the "no back window" would not look very good. You need something back there.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by locomaz@Oct 28 2003, 11:04 AM
How about just molding the shell to the truck? I've seen that done before. There would be a good possibility of cracks though if the truck is driven alot. And, in my opinion, the "no back window" would not look very good. You need something back there.
exactly-----a truck cab and a bed move independently so unless you re-inforce the shit out of it you are going to get cracks---have you ever seen a truck w/ a "walk through" they use to either slidethe bed up to the cab or add sheet metal to make it look like a k-5----but after a while you could see the welds and the filler would crack etc------as far as the "super shell" yes they would match the contour of the cab-----but of course they are fiber glass so it will be hard to mold together---eventually it will crack---truck frames flex too much--------good luck --peace

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. thanks for the help. We've got it all figured out now. Were having a bit of a difficulty finding a decent priced shell but we are workin on it. were just going to mold the shell to the bed and leave the same gap there between the shell and the cab. Were still going to make it as streamline looking as possible without actualy attatching the two. The rest is easy work. thanks for the info. Once we accomplish it we'll throw up pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts