LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i was going to get my whole differential casing and axel casing chrome dipped.

is there anything i shold worry about, i was going to dip the driveshaft as well
:biggrin:

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
Originally posted by Soul Assasins@Aug 18 2003, 07:29 AM

is there anything i shold worry about, i was going to dip the driveshaft as well
your going to have to remove all the gears and axels to get it dipped, have fun, i just stripped mine out to powder coat it, wasnt all that fun, but it was worth it

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Originally posted by BigLinc+Aug 18 2003, 06:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigLinc @ Aug 18 2003, 06:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Soul Assasins@Aug 18 2003, 07:29 AM

your going to have to remove all the gears and axels to get it dipped, have fun, i just stripped mine out to powder coat it, wasnt all that fun, but it was worth it[/b][/quote]
I had to have my axle sand blsted, and degreased, before I took it in theplating shop. I had to also take all the gears out...

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
Originally posted by cruize1+Aug 18 2003, 08:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cruize1 @ Aug 18 2003, 08:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2003, 06:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Soul Assasins
@Aug 18 2003, 07:29 AM

your going to have to remove all the gears and axels to get it dipped, have fun, i just stripped mine out to powder coat it, wasnt all that fun, but it was worth it
I had to have my axle sand blsted, and degreased, before I took it in theplating shop. I had to also take all the gears out...[/b][/quote]
yeah, that too ;)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Originally posted by Smoky@Aug 17 2003, 11:22 PM
I wana change my differential cover and I don't know if I can just drain the fluid and reuse it or should I get new fluid
and the chrome cover obveisly gona make it hotter so is that gona affect my ride badly..thanks
You should just put in some new freah oil, which is very inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
on a G body..like a regal..do u have to get a new gasket when u drain the fluid? in my book it says to loosen up the bolts and pry the cover off so the fluid will drain..how much is the new gasket?

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
it's about $5 bucks for a new gasket, and if you do change the cover on it, you might as well put new oil and a gasket......... to chrome your rearend you have to remove the shafts that turn the wheels and all the gears, basically gut it out until it's just the casing...... and when you get it back you can remove the old bearings and install new ones or just grease up the old ones real good to prevent them from locking up on you....... ;)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
whatever happened to the old saying that chroming causes the parts to weaken.

here everyone is chroming a-arms, extensions, rearends, SPRINGS, tierods, etc. etc..

i thought when you chrome this shit, its makes the metal weaker?

or did i just dream this theory?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Aug 19 2003, 05:55 AM

here everyone is chroming a-arms, extensions, rearends, SPRINGS, tierods, etc. etc..

Well, all the suspension on my ride is chromed out, haven't any problems as of yet.
Other than trying to keep the chrome clean... :biggrin:

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Aug 19 2003, 07:55 AM

heat does weaken steel, and chroming does heat the metal but its not like taking a torch and heating it red hot so it wont noticably weaken it really

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
anybody know where i can get a chrome rear end cover for an 86 regal?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts